junction boxes: (jb)

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Psaltee

I want to do some replacing of lights through our mh and am aware that there are jb's throughout the home. I would like to know where the other additional jb's are located. I am familiar with the jb in the kitchen area and have put in new lighting throughout. This is quite different from a stick built house and since I would like to put in some overhead, track and possibly recessed lighting I sure would like to know what my options are ahead of time. Also, I am considering installing LED security lighting attached at the back door that will cover the back yard area. I would prefer lighting that detects movement. Is there LED lighting that offers a light to go on at the point of installation that notifies the homeoner from inside that the light is on to allert the homeowner there is activity on the property? Appreciate your help and suggestions. psaltee
1987Commodore

I did a quick search on Lowes.com and came up with a number of led motion lights. I would think that someone with electrical know how could tap off one of them for an interior indicator light.
Psaltee

Great idea Commodore!
Is there a jb that I need to cut into that will create the location for this light to work properly? Also, any idea where the other jb's are located in the mh? I'm trying to avoid a major makeover. Since I accomplished the lighting makeover in the kitchen I thought my DIY skills have increased a bit. I'm ready for whatever else is going to give me a challenge.
psaltee
cmanningjr

Are you adding or replacing lights?? There's shouldn't be any hidden junction boxes to find. There's really not much different between electrical in a mobile home and a stick built home. Some boxes and materials look different because of the way the home is constructed.

Can lights can be added eaisly. Keep in mind that you will have to buy the proper rough in can for the application..Do some research, ask questions, be careful..
1987Commodore

Junction boxes are not supposed to be hidden. By code, they must be accessible. Most times I think they just use a ceiling light box, or an outlet box.
Do you have an existing light at the back door to replace, or are you thinking of adding lights at remote locations?
You could just add a circuit from your breaker box, across the belly, to an exterior location to tap into, using a gfi breaker and proper exterior wire and boxes.
Psaltee

To answer your questions yes I am adding a remote location and need to tap into the backdoor light. The backdoor light is accessable from inside the house as well as from the outside a two-way switch I suppose. Will I need to run conduit alongside the house to a location in the back or is their a better way? Also, I would like to put canned lighting in the ceiling. How do you thread the wiring through the ceiling? If canned lighting doesn't work I would like to put in either trac lighting or possibly a chandalier in the family room. There again I would have to thread the wiring through the ceiling. In a stick built house you just drill a hole where you want to place the fixture. Go in the attic and put it together. You can't do that in a mh. Unless there is something I'm not understanding. Any suggestions? Thanks psaltee
1987Commodore

Afraid I can't help with the ceiling lighting, but for the outside, I'm thinking you could drop a line from your current light to a box attached underneath, then use proper wire or conduit to the remote location. Having two switches throws another complication into the mix.
Keep in mind that I am not an electrician, so it would be advisable to contact a pro on this.
We're getting close to treading where this site does not wish to go, so I'll leave it at that.
You could try http://www.allexperts.com/el/Electrical-Wiring-Home/