insulation behind skirting question

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mccrackin

I'm just about to begin the process of reskirting a mobile home that I am in the process of renovating. I'm going to be using metal skirting with fiberglass insulation behind it (as suggested in Marks manual). The place I found for the rolls of insulation asked if I wanted a foil backing on it or not. I'm not sure if this would add anything or not to the system, but it seems to me that since the insulation is just hanging there, the foil backing might keep the insulation from bunching up a little on the bottom. Anyone else agree with this thought, or would I just be wasting my money? (It's about 20% more cost)
Greg

I think Mark used bats that he wrapped in plastic, I used 2"rigid foam. What ever works the easiest & best for you. It's a win/win situation.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
mccrackin

Thanks Greg! I didn't even think about wrapping batts in plastic myself. That should actually be a lot cheaper than what I was thinking of getting, which was a long roll of insulation that comes pre-wrapped. I live up in Canada, it'll be my first winter in a mobile home, and I'm paranoid about frozen pipes so I really like the idea of the higher R values I can get with fiberglass insulation.
Steve-WA

and what, spray glue the plastic-wrapped batts to the skirting?
Greg

Mark's method was to attach a 2x2 to the bottom and nail/screw the top of the bag to it and let it drape down, I think he used foam sheets on the ground for protection. I think it's chapter 24 in his book.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."