lamanite flooring

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

BC

Is there anything special I should do to my plywood floors before I install my laminates?
HouseMedic

Just make sure they are smooth with no nails or screws popping up. Depending on the type of flooring make sure you use the right underlayment for the type flooring that you are using unless it has it built into it on the back of each piece. The underlayment acts both as a vapor barrier and helps to let the floor float with expansion and contraction. Make sure to follow the instructions and don't install it tight against the wall. It should have about a quarter inch space between the wall and the flooring for expansion. Then when you put the trim on make sure you nail the trim to the wall and not the floor.

Ron
bobfather99

1)Get the best underlayment you can afford. It allows the floor to expand/contract, plus keeps squeaks/weird noises down.
2)If you can, take a look at the flooring outside of the packaging. Some of the "cheapy" stuff doesn't click together too well. Take a look at store closeouts/leftovers of a better quality floor, sometimes you can get it at a killer price.
3)As Housemedic posted, check all screws/nails and make sure they are not popping up.
4)Bring the packages of flooring in the room you're installing for a day or so. This lets the floor get used to temperature/humidity of the room.
5)Open several boxes and randomly pick from each package. Sometimes there are "lighter" or "darker" tints to the finish.
6)If you find a piece that scratched or blemished, don't be afraid to chuck it aside, you probably will have extra. Floor pieces with light damage can be used in closets or room corners, if need be.
7)Don't be surprised if you wear out a saw blade during install. Laminate floors are tough on saw blades. Add a fresh blade to your budget.
8)Take your time, don't force anything. Call in a few favors moving furniture, flooring, etc. Any help is good help....

One more thing, post pics of the floor when you're done. :) Good luck!!!
Tip your bartender.....
Greg S

Don't buy the cheapest grade laminate flooring. Buy the best quality you can afford, preferably on sale.
Cheap quality laminate does not go down easily and there is considerably more damage/waste when trying to install. It tends to break/chip along the edges during installation.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
Greg

If possible open the box in the store and lay out some on the floor. I've had some that simply will not stay locked together when you start the second row.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."