Really need help!

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

jadedone24

I am not sure what else to do, but I am sure tired of dealing with this problem.
My mobile home is 2 ba, and in the small bath, there is a horrible smell coming from under the sink. I have plugged both the sink and tub, changed the wax ring on the commode and looked underneath for anything that may be causing it but it doesn't smell like it does in the bathroom--so I dont think it is coming from under there. We checked the p-trap and the cheater vent.
Can someone suggest something else to try, its really getting frustrating!
bobfather99

If the plumbing is working properly, there is a possibility you have a dead animal somewhere in the belly.
Tip your bartender.....
1987Commodore

You say you've checked the vent, but try this - temporarily tape a plastic bag over the vent assembly to see if it makes a difference.
What type of vanity do you have in the bath? Most have a space between the vanity bottom and the floor that is not accessible without some minor demolition. Possibly there is an ex-critter in there?
Greg

How long have you been dealing with this? Dead critter smell can last for a month or two. You may have a vent problem that you can check with a plastic bag.

You may also have a leak under the floor also.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
jadedone24

I had called our plumber, he had us to get a cap that screws onto where the vent goes, so it would close it off, I assume he was thinking it was coming through there too.
What do I need to do with a plastic bag?
I hate to cut into the covering that is underneath the trailor, I think the insulation is just under that? Won't that cause it to hang out or is there a way to seal it back up? There is no space between the vanity and the floor. So I guess it would require some cutting to see to the floor underneath, I just hate to do any type of demolition but I hate the smell even more ugh!
I have been dealing with this smell since before Thanksgiving.
Greg

Slip the plastic bag over the vent and tape it shut, that will temporarily block the vent off.

Greg
1987Commodore

If capping the vent as the plumber had you do didn't help, then you can forget about the plastic bag.
Is there a bottom shelf in your vanity, a few inches above the floor, or does the floor serve as the bottom shelf? If there is a separate bottom shelf above the floor, you can probably remove the toe kick for access to the space beneath. I'm thinking there is something in that space. I think if it were under the floor, you would smell it underneath, as well as in other rooms. When the plumbing is installed, the holes are usually way larger than they need to be. That provides easy access for critters from below, as well as air infiltration. I sealed them up with expanding foam and noticed that the area was warmer.
Another possibility is that it is in the wall, but seems like you would get the smell in the adjacent room also.
jadedone24

ok, so if i remove the shelf from the vanity in the floor i should be able to see if there is something under there causing the smell?
i sure appreciate all the ideas, cause i was quickly running out of them!
bobfather99

Jadedone24,
If you can get that base shelf out without too much difficulty, do it. If you find the source of your smell, clean it up, and make sure you seal up any ways for animals to get in. That way you dont get a repeat performance... :)
Tip your bartender.....
1987Commodore

Depending upon the way your vanity is constructed, you may find it easier to remove the toe kick, or even the side of the vanity, than to get the bottom shelf out.
jadedone24

Im on it!! sure hope I find the source, I will report back, you guys are awsome!
jadedone24

ok, we got under the shelf, it was dry, nothing under there.
crawled underneath, and the underbelly was sagging in some places, so took a sharp knife and made a small cut, water came out in one area (not the area where the smell is coming from) the smell is worse, but its dry? I just dont know!
1987Commodore

OK, then you have a plumbing leak underneath. The insulation is soaked and will have to be removed, and the source of the leak needs to be located and repaired.
Greg

The leak may well be a drain pipe, you may need to run water down the drains until you find the source. Insulation will need to be replaced before putting the belly back up.

Greg
jadedone24

just a quick note, we finally have solved the problem!
it had to be a leaking wax ring that we did replace that caused the water, we found no other leaks in the drain. We have the wet insulation out, and am letting it dry out good before replacing and then sealing it back up.

Just another thought, its a 2007, what regular maintenance should we do now? For example should we reseal anything on the roof? Do I need to try to scrap off all the old caulking around the doors and windows and reseal? Can you think of some things that I need to do to keep water, and make sure it is nice and sealed?