How do I drain / flush this water heater??

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Norm

Got the hose setup, screwed it on the drain fitting and ..... um.... wheres the valve?
IMAG0178.jpg

Popping the hose back off and looking into the hole I'm guessing maybe this is some sort of flow restrictor adapter? - If so, whats it called and where do I find a proper fitting to at least drain the thing and remove it so I can replace it with a proper valve?

If it helps, this is a Richmond 5V40-7 gas water heater. - Came with the house when I bought it a few years ago and of course, no manual and can't seem to find one online anywhere.

And a completely separate issue, is it proper to vent bathroom and kitchen sinks into the vanity / cabinet on mobile homes?? - I'd never consider doing this myself and though the previous owners did some cobbled reno, this is the case in EVERY sink in the home and I don't think they redid all of them.

Thanks a million. - Again! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1987Commodore

Guessing that knurled white ring turns to open the valve? As for the venting, yes, it's normal. that's the factory set up in mine.
Norm

Gotcha.. Yeah, didn't think to try it earlier but I did an image search and yep, guess thats a cheap valve that manufacturers put on that almost always needs to be replaced. - Wonderful...

Thanks for the heads up on the venting.
flcruising

I replaced the valve a few months back with a boiler drain valve. That plastic thing always leaked when draining the tank.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_27958-34146-M76 ... facetInfo=
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]