Lower kitchen cabinet shelf

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Denise

Of course it's the lower one! It's starting to warp, sag, bow in the middle. The dangerous part is I'm thinking.....of removing the side panel next to the refrigerator. Then I could drill some holes and pull up and out the shelf (pieces) from that end. With the refrigerator out of the way I can have another board cut and slide it (5' long) back in and set it back on the bracing that I will buildup with some back to front bracing.
The toughest part of this to me is removing the flimsy end panel without destroying it. Not to say a piece of luan with some stain couldn't be used to replace it.

So, if you've got any suggestions, recommendations, experience, I'd sure like to read them. Thanks so much.
Greg

I suspect that the shelf you have now is Partical board. I would go with plywood as a replacement. the fun part as you say will be getting the new on back in place. If you can remove the side panel easily that would be the way to go. I would use care removing the old shelf, cut it out if possible - you may be working on a house of cards. Factory cabinets can be a real pain figuring out how things are attached.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."