Roof Leak

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

sdshaw2

Hey everyone,

Well this weekend we had a large rain storm and I woke up with a drip drip drip in our bedroom. We clearly have a roof leak. I am having someone out here to repair the roof (i think the leak is near the bathroom vent). My bigger question is, how concerned do I need to be over the leaking that already occurred? Do I need to check for mold or mildew? The ceiling is not sagging but it has a small crack in it and I do smell a faint mildewey smell. Obviously we don't have attic access, so we'd have to cut away to the ceiling to see up in there. Is it enough to repair the leak and leave it at that or should we go up in there to take a look around regardless?

I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thank you so much! I am clueless. :)
JD
Site Admin

I think that is a question you would have to answer yourself. I repair a lot of roof leaks, many that have gone on for years. The vast majority of times, people don't open up the ceiling to investigate. When the ceiling has damage or warping, many customers will want the ceiling fixed as well, but certainly not 50% of them.

If you catch the roof leak in time, it might dry out without a mildew or mold problem. Some people are very susceptible to mold issues and for them it would be a good idea to be sure of the situation up there. But as I said, most people won't investigate a small leak problem caught and repaired quickly and will have no ill effects from it, as far as I can tell.

This may be one of the reasons Foremost Insurance will not insure against mold. If there is a stain, they will pay to paint, if there is warpage or damage, they will replace. But they will not address mold issues with or after the repairs. They would be subject to replacing ceilings with every roof leak.

JMO
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
DaveyB

Since the leak is near the bathroom vent, it may be an idea to remove the vent completely and reinstall it. Although this isn't necessary for the repair of the leak, it will afford you a fairly economical way to get a good look inside the "attic" area and check around for other damage.

Perhaps a humidity meter might be useful here too, especially if you can find one with a fairly long probe. The cheap way is cobalt chloride test strips and a straightened out wire coat hanger!

Hope that helps!

DaveyB
╔═╗
║T║HINK
╚═╝
sdshaw2

Thank you so much, guys. The bathroom fan rattles a bit anyway, so I will probably replace it so I can take a look in there. :)

I really appreciate the feedback, thank you!