More Water Heater

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Barb P

Hi All. What makes me think I already know the answer to this?
My electric water heater is 20 years old. One time, we had to change the elements.
About 5 years ago, I had it drained and the gunk removed.
I have extremely hard water. I've had no trouble with it so far. Checked for leaks....none.
Question is.....should I get a new one, just because it's so old?
I obviously don't want to wait for a leak. Is there a safe way to tell if it needs to be replaced
BarbP
hvac1000

20 years is a long time for a water heater to last. In this area it is about 10 years. You might look into replacement sooner than later.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
Yanita

Hi,

Sure, you can replace it sooner than latter. I will admit I have a tendency on higher dollar items to wait until I have a problem.

If this is what you want to do, click on the "Books/Parts" link then click on "Plumbing"...the very first item on the left is a Water Alert device. Place this in the water closet, if and when it springs a leak you will be alerted.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Robert

Hi,

Those alarms are great IF and this is a big IF, you are home to hear it going off.

Most often, this is not the case. If you do not have a drain pan underneath the WH and it is 20 years old, you are walking a tight rope with disaster.

I would replace it immediately due to the very costly other side of the coin if it starts leaking while nobody is home.

20 years is a loooooonnnnngggggg time and if it has not been drained yearly, it is on borrowed time for sure.

When you do replace, now or later, it would be good time to install a drain pan and start draining the WH 1-2 times a year.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
gram2logan

Robert........why the need to drain a water heater? Once or twice a year sounds excessive to me. But obviously I know nothing about them. Is that for both gas & electric?? We got ours about a year ago and have never drained it. Hubby also didn't put a drain pan under ours. I'm sure he didn't know about that either.
Stop talking before people stop listening!
Barb P

Oh man, now Robert's got my heart pounding with fear again.
So I guess that means I better do it now. I really don't want to come home to my house flooded, and the WH fallen thru to the ground.
Besides my old heart can't take the anxiety. *rolls eyes*
BarbP
Robert

Hi,

Sediment settles/floats in tanks and can cause blockages and rust to form which can lead to premature failure.

A lot of no waterflow at sinks and faucets is often due to sediment from a WH that comes through line and causes blockage.

Your WH, gas or elctric, should be drained at least once a year. IF you have hard water, every 6 months is best.

Will prevent problems and give longevity to the WH.

The drain pan is equipped with drainline fitting to attach drain line to outside.

This is good to prevent damage if a leak occurrs.

At 20 years old and no drain pan, don't mean to scare you Barb, but it would be best to replace asap.

Be thankful you have this knowledge now to avoid a future costly disaster.

When it comes to water and MH's, you cannot be too careful.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Harry

Hi

Water heater maintenance calls for draining the tank to flush the scale/sediment/sand which is actually calcium carbonate. Yes both gas and electric.

When I drain my water heaters I keep a spare spigot handy. I once had a leaker.

I replace my water heaters at 10 years. Just trying to stay ahead of water damage.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Maureen

Hi Barb,

I'm more like Yanita and replace when something fails. But Robert and Harry are correct when it comes to water heaters!

Look at the instructions that come with a new water heater. They all recommend draining the heater at least once a year! Not doing this cuts down on the life of your water heater. It also voids your warranty. Water heaters, like any other appliance, needs to maintained.

If the water heater is 20+ years, now is the time to replace it! It's most likely done twice it's job in years! Better to replace it now, then have it go out mid Winter, like ours did last year.

If you get a good Energy Star efficient water heater, you can get a tax break this year on your federal taxes!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
Barb P

Thank you Everybody for advice.
I've called plumber, and am waiting for callback.
I really needed that push. Since my hubby died, big things like this terrify me. He was an electrician, and knew everything, in my opinion. :)
Maureen, I didn't realize we got tax breaks. I thought just stick-builts did. Thanks for the heads up.
BarbP
Yanita

Hi,

On the energy star rebates, only certain ones qualify. I found that they only allowed so much for the cost of the item, and then a percentage was given on that, install labor is not a deduction.

I believe this site can help you www.irs.gov/efile for all the details and latest info.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
lv2cmp

Sounds like you have already decided to change it out but just wanted to chime in here. The efficency ratings from 20 years ago till now has really increased so it will save you in the long run. Be sure and check with you local utility companies because lots of time if you are converting from one to the other you can get one free. Example..have gas contact electric company and to get you to swap they give you a new electric water heater. Just a thought.

Amy