Metal Roof Question

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

LabFolk

I was looking at chapter 11 in Mark's book on installing the inexpensive metal roof and have a question on attaching the inside closure strip. The picture on page 11-4 shows it between the metal roof and an edge purlin. I'm wondering if the edge purlin is a separate piece that needs to be attached or is it just the outside furring strip? Thanks for the help.
LabFolk
geraldk

it depends if you have a soffit and fasia ,existing or your adding one or not if your not adding soffit and fasia i would think it would go on the outside furring strip,just my opinion ,im sure some others that have done it or the experts on this board will chime in with there expert advice
im not a dr. but ill take a look
LabFolk

No I don't have a soffit and fascia nor am I planning to add one at this time... just a 3" overhang. Also, I priced the materials at Menards and it was $1,300 including tax for my 14'x70'. I had been looking at using Liquid Rubber to coat the roof but it would have been more expensive and the metal roof seems to be a longer lasting alternative. I would certainly appreciate hearing from anyone that has installed this roof with any tips you might have.
LabFolk
JD
Site Admin

I have not installed the metal roof as described in Mark's manual, but I have worked my own crew building pole barns. I am thinking that while the metal roof may require periodic maintenance, but may have a longer lifespan overall. Also, the metal roof may perform better in cold and snowy climates that I imagine you will have in Wisconsin.

Hopefully, Mark or one of the forum members with first hand knowledge of this roof installation will post a reply. I have not installed this particular roof nor have I ever dealt with snow on a roof. What the hey, everyone has to live somewhere.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
geraldk

well if your not planning a soffit or fasia then the closure strip has to go on the furring stripim partially through this same roof but i built soffit and fasia but the closure strip has to go on the most outer piece of wood to keep wind from getting under new metal and blowing it off (i dont have a digital cam to post pics but im working on it )
im not a dr. but ill take a look