Poly -> PVC -> Poly with sharkbites

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Norm

Hey guys, thanks for all your tips / suggestions in the past! :D

I have another one that I hope is pretty easy...

Can I use sharkbite adapters to go from poly to PVC and back? - I've used them for going from poly to pex just fine but I don't know how well they work out going to PVC....

Hoping to put a whole house sediment filter in place this weekend.

Thanks again!

Norm

Edit: And yes, I mean the dreaded grey poly.. - I'm always listening at night or whenever there is a quiet moment to try and make sure I haven't sprung a leak somewhere... So far, so good.. (<knocks on wood, spins 3 times to the right>) - Or is it left?? Oh no!! :shock:
Brenda (OH)

is the installation going to be below the underbelly, in the underbelly but below the insulation etc?

if it is outside, and below anywhere it can damage, you might try it... I personally would go with a flair it brand coupler if it is going to be inside the home... the ones I mean are

like this for reference only
http://www.amazon.com/Coupling-16845-Fl ... 017&sr=1-8

I have had to get 3/8 one end, 1/2 the other to go on some old gray line pipes.

if Mark sells these, I apologize, I tried a quick search of the parts center but did not hit on them.

as always.... why not get the gray stuff out of the home while you are working at that spot?

Brenda (OH)
Greg

I think you may be OK, but I think I would Email shark bite and get their blessing just to be safe. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Norm

Yes, its going in the home as I would have to crawl under the home to replace the filters every 2-3 months most likely. (We have VERY heavy sediment at times, the water runs nearly as dark as strong brewed tea..)

The sharkbite adapters I used to replace the lines for the washing machine (which were corroded shut) I *think* said they were universal for connecting 3/4 pex/pvc/cpvc/poly but I think I'll follow your tip Greg and try to connect w/ the mfgr and check.

Thanks again! :D :D
JD
Site Admin

I doubt you will get a "blessing" from Sharbite/Cash Acme. Actually, I think they only approve PEx, Copper and CPVC. I am thinking this is because PVC is not approved for hot water use and polybutylene is not approved for residential use.

But many people here at this forum, including myself have used Sharbite, Gatorbite and other brands (MasterCraft) of push fittings with good success. I have never had a problem using Sharkbites on PB pipe. You do want to connect to a section of PB that is not all gouged/scratched up or goobered up with sealants or mineral build-up.

But to answer your question, the Sharkbite will go from PB to CVPC and back to PB, but you will be on your own in the way of assurances. I think the only recommendation from the plumbing industry for PB is full replacement. Using crimp fittings for the transition from PB to PEx is the best method.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
bguy49

I would NEVER again use the couplings that Brenda (sorry Brenda!) referenced. I used them once and the end blew off and flooded my MH. I had them as tight as I could get them.

Dave
bguy49

JD, is the little adapter/bushing which fits inside of the line on Sharkbite fitting going to be large enough dia. to seal on CVPC? I think there is an ID size diference from PEX to CVPC?

Dave
JD
Site Admin

The insert works like a ferrel, just like the little tubes with 1/4" tubing/compression fittings. They are needed when using PEx. They aren't needed with the more rigid CPVC, and copper, but you don't have to remove them. These brass push fittings seal on the outside of the tubing. This is why the connection end of the tubing needs to be clean and smooth.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.