Underbelly insulation question....

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

min7854

I had a mobilehome set-up company person come out to do an estimate on replacing the underbelly...When I asked how they did it; I was told they could just cover the existing bellywrap with bubble wrap...if larger areas needed repair they too would use the bubblewrap insulation. I went to the "big box" and checked it out. It's called Reflectix....Has anyone used it? What do you folks think of using it to replace underbelly materials? I'm rather apprehensive about it, as I have no experiences to compare it to... Some input here would be greatly appreciated....Thanks Min
Harry

Hi

I don't know anyone who has used Reflectix for the underbelly. I suppose it would do to patch a spot.

I prefer the black woven polyethylene. http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/underbelly.htm

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
min7854

Thanks for your input Harry. I had already purchased the underbelly materials, but had the mh set-up repair company come out for an estimate on foundation work(see other posts),while they were there, I figured I'd see how much it would cost to get them to do the work...That is when they told me that they use the "bubble wrap". I had never heard of it being used, so would like to find out if others have heard of it... I had had a lot of condensation in the underbelly and finally it gave way and started to come down...Now I've got the musty/mildew smell....insulation hanging down and a mess, so I need to start working on this soon.....Thank God I'm in Florida, so working under there will actually be comfortable this time of year....
Harry

Hi

Where in Florida? I'm in Citrus county.

In Florida we need lots of ventilation down under. What kind of skirting do you have?

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
min7854

Hi Harry....I'm in Plant City...(Hillsborough County)... Yes, I do have proper ventilation, but I had a gutter malfunction last year, and did not put up new ones....and with all the rain this year everything washed under the home..Armidillos had completely balled up my ground cover and basically a Pandora's box opened up.....Prior to all of this happening..the home has been here for about 15 years....With no major problems... The week before Christmas installed new gutters...now have to get down under and fix all the mess....Not looking forward to that, but it is what it is..........