Cement Stairs

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Homeowner

The cement stairs on my mobile home are not the same height. The first step is about twice as high as the next two steps. Can I have another step added? Is it something that I can do myself?
Thanks
JD
Site Admin

The quick answer is Yes. You do want all steps to be of a consistent height though. What are the measurements of all of the existing steps now?

Another step could be added with concrete or maybe pavers and concrete blocks in warm regions. In cold regions you would probably need to dig out a footer for the one step. You may also need to drill reinforcement metal into the existing steps for the best results. Just be sure the step you put in will not move through the seasons or pull away from the existing steps.

I have seen a lot of steps built on the 7" rise / 11" tread formula or prebuilt stringers that also follow this design, which leaves either the top or bottom step taller or shorter than the rest of the steps. Steps should be consistent in height at EVERY step. So unless you are very lucky and your home height factors out to be 7/11, you should have custom steps built specifically for the home height. This is a pet peeve of mine when it comes to stairs. ZI often see 7/11 steps with a first step over 8" tall. An 8"+ step can be difficult for many people and makes for a dangerous egress.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg

Steps can be a major pain to get right. Personally I would rather see a short top step than a long bottom step.

You could do a google on how to lay steps out, that may help. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Brenda OH reregister

I have found a local lumber yard that I give the height of the steps needed, and they adjust the riser height to make it all even out. They then cut the risers out of a 2 x 12 plank.

I can also have them cut the treads, posts, etc and I end up with a high quality, very nice looking, very safe and functional set of steps that are much nicer and only slightly higher cost than when I was getting the materials at home depot.

And I admit, it is more fun to pick up the cut lumber and assemble the steps like a jigsaw puzzle than to try to cut and fit everything on site.

Brenda (OH)