strange screws for cabinets

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

cryinbrian

I am new to this forum, so sorry for the redundant question: My cabinets are anchored with what looks to be clutch-type screws but aren't butterfly-shaped. It is more like an oval ended rectangle. SOMEONE out there has to know how to get these out. I did an online search and can't find this screw ANYWHERE.

I don't want to struggle with these things trying to get them out. I will be replacing them with NORMAL wood screws.

This an an old 1976 Marshfield mobile home, 3 bdr., 2 bath, particle board floor, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Brian
Harry

Hi

I think you have "square drive bit" screws. Do they look like this?

The bits are sold at most hardware stores.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
cryinbrian

Nope. They are not square bit. I will take a picture and send it tomorrow morning. Like I described, they are almost a clutch type, but not like a butterfly shape, more like a rectangle with rounded ends. like (=) {connect the top and bottoms of the parenthesis.}

I have seen these before a while ago, but now they're showing up in my cabinets. They are a real pain to get out without the proper bit.

Thanks for the reply.

B
Harry

Hi

More screw head types.

Is it one of these?

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Greg

Brian, Hi & welcome. Most hardware stores or home centers have a set of bits that have the odd ball types in them. if you can't find them there try Sears. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
cryinbrian

It look just like this. I drew this in paint, but this is really what it looks like.

Hasn't anyone seen this before?

Sorry for being like this, but I find it hard to believe I have the only trailer with these screws.

Crazy, huh?

Thanks for all your help!

B
[/img]
Greg

I think that I can say with all honest that I have never seen that type before. you may be able to take a flat screwdriver and grind the tip to fit. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
cryinbrian

Yep, Looks like I'll have to improvise. It's just that these are very similar in thread to drywall or deack screws, and are imbedded in particle board...so are very hard to extract. I have used vise-grips on one, and it was quite a chore!

Wierd how I am the only 1976 trailer owner that has these screws...

Thanks all for all your help, but don't close the thread yet...let's see if anyone has come across these.

Brian
Harry

Nope... have not seen em. They probably come from China like everything else these days.

Yep...modify a flat tip drive bit.

Harry
Jim from Canada

Take a dremel and cut a slot in the screw head, then use a flat screwdriver.
Yanita

HI,

Nope, you are not the only one to encounter those screws, nor your vintage aged and make home. I have the same.

We used the dremel as mentioned in another post and then used a screw gun to remove all the screws when we replaced the cabinets.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!