can you replace a garden tub

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

middysmom

can you replace a garden tub with a i don't know how to spell it jacuzia i would appreceite anyones help if they can read it thanks dorothy
Yanita

Hi,

Certainly you can replace your garden tub with a jacuzzi.

There are a few things you will have to consider though. I have been through this before.

One, you will need to make sure that you have room in your electric panel, these need/require there own breaker. So you might have to hire an electrician to run the wiring and then you will have your inspection.

Also, these use alot more water, if you have a standard size MH water heater you do not have enough to fill these tubs.

these tubs have over flows on them and typical MH tubs do not. Need to make sure you know that.

Also, beings as these take alot more water, full weight is substantial. We added additional blocking under our home to support the full weight.

I am sure I am probably missing something but these are a few things I remember...

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

Yanita left out one critical point, size!! Make sure it will fit, most mobile home tubs are 54" and full size tubs are 60". I was going to put one in our bath, even bought one ( dirt cheap) and decided that I really did not feel like moving a wall to fit it in. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
DigitalDreams

Also if you decide to do it, that if you move a wall that it has no load bearing property's hate to see the roof in your tub with you.
crackur

I have this question as well. I have the old garden tub and I would like a jacuzzi in its place for my wife. I have measured and I do have enough room for it. Of course I am not going to do any of the electrical, because I get shocked changing light bulbs.

How do they rewire something like that? I notice in the bathroom beside of the door is a box like shelf opening with one or two thick covered wires I suspect they go to the lights or other electrical outlets in there.

So how exactly is it done?

again, I WOULD NEVER TRY IT! I only want to know what I'm in for
Greg

Crackur, please read the sticky post "Electrical & gas repairs" Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."