Another stupid question....

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

TonyPa

I want to change the locks on my front door. I am not moved in yet, and figure do some of this stuff now, while working on it. Now I know MH'S, have different stuff than standard homes. I want to change the deadbolt, and knob on the front door, are they the same ones that you buy at home depot for a house? Or are they different also. Here's a photo of the door. It seems to look the same as my house set up. Thanks. Sorry for the stupid question.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q172 ... side11.jpg
ms vg

Welcome to the forum!

Measure the door thickness....I think that regular door knobs will work with exterior doors but measuring will ensure the proper fit.
'93 Clayton DW
TonyPa

Thanks, I will measure mine before I leave today, and when i get to the MH, I will measure the thickness of that one. I wasn't sure, since they looked identical to my locks on my house.
peachlizzard

You should be able to use regular locks. My father is a locksmith and changed all mine with regular ones.
TonyPa

Oh wonderful! I will measure to be safe. i am just noticing some things are different like spigots....etc.
I was curious about the locks.

BTW. This forum is outstanding!
Greg

The only problem you may have is with the barrel that has the striker in it, If it is the type that you need to chisel out to resess it and you have an aluminum frame, well you see the problem. they do have just the round barrel type that "presses" into the door, so check to see what you need. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
TonyPa

Oh, I didn't think of that. Thanks very much. I have to go up to the new place tomorrow..."Well, new to me",,LOL
I'll check before I purchase. I have seen a few MH parts places near me, just never have been in one. And I also have seen some stores online.
DigitalDreams

Newer home should be same as regular but if it is really old like mine ,I did find until I replaced the doors with new house doors that I had to reuse the barrel part and on the old metal doors the ones you know they made out of less than desirable thin sheet metal that and I had to shorten the bar that goes between the two half's of the knob.
TonyPa

Mine is an 85, so I don't know if thats considered old or not....LOL
I am going up today, since we're not moved in yet, and get this figured out.
I want to put new faucets in, I am sure I am going to need MH ones to do that.
I was hoping to use a sink bowl that would fit, and has really nice faucets on it. But I don't know if they adapt or not, to that type of plumbing. I have lots to learn.
Greg

In many cases a standard faucet will fit, tubs are often an exception. Greg
TonyPa

Ohhh. I do have a lot to learn. I am very handy, believe it or not. But this is my first MH, and I am just confused, on what fits what.
Greg

Tony, let me clarify a little. Many time faucets will fit right in, some times the holes are off "a little" but you can still cover the original holes with the new faucet.

Keep in mind also that mounting the faucet is only half of the job, you still need to connect it. Often I will cut the suply line back a foot or two, add a shutoff, and replace the supply line from the valve to the faucet with a standard line. Greg
TonyPa

Thanks, I changed the locks today, and they were standard. They changed the front and back door. They actually put very nice doors on it.
I will be changing the faucets soon, but I ran into a issue that I posted on another thread here.
Yanita

Hi,

Well there is one project done! Soon you will be checking them off left and right...

Since this has been answered I am going to lock it now. It needs no further info.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!