WOOHOO, ReStore!!!

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Teatime

Are y'all familiar with the Habitat for Humanity ReStores??? If not, they are warehouses run by Habitat for Humanity where stores, contractors, and individuals donate unwanted items for resale. You can get all sorts of things REALLY cheap! And the proceeds benefit Habitat for Humanity! :D

I always try to remember to check our local ReStore when I'm doing some improvements and I hit paydirt today! I really, really wanted new door pulls for my newly painted cabinets but, geez, they're about $3 each for even the simple ones. I needed 40! :shock: There was no way I was going to spend over $120 just for cabinet knobs!

But a big woohoo to the ReStore! I found gorgeous, carved black cabinet pulls for 50 cents each and they actually had a box of the same design so I bought my 40!

I need to measure my kitchen window and then go back because they had a nice set of white indoor shutters for just $15. I'm hoping I can make them fit my kitchen window. They would look SO smart and be a huge improvement on blinds!

The ReStore is awesome -- they have all sorts of lighting, plumbing fixtures, electrical supplies, tile, furniture, you name it! And they get new stuff coming in almost every day. Check it out, if you haven't already!

Here's Habitat's website so y'all can check if there's a ReStore near your location!
:D
Julie
Teatime

Ooops, the website didn't show up. Let me try that again!

http://www.habitat.org/env/restores.aspx
Trudi

They ARE great, aren't they? It's like a treasure hunt every time I go. Ours had an entertainment center that I wanted sooo badly, for only $60., but it was too wide for my space. Win some, lose some. :(
Yanita

LOL, we have one in our area...use it all the time. Have bought some really great items for very little money.

I have mentioned this place many times in previous post. Glad you found yours. Do not forget about a possible Freecycle in your area, and Craigslist.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Teatime

Trudi, Well, at least you realized the entertainment center was too big before you took it home! A friend of mine found a gorgeous, huge armoire at the ReStore near her home, arranged transport, and then realized it wouldn't fit through her bedroom doorway! :oops: I think she was able to sell it to someone else.

I bought a few other bits and bobs yesterday, too. I've been wanting an attractive, tall container I could store spaghetti/linguine in on the countertop. Bingo -- the ReStore had a tall blue glass one that is perfect! Also bought a wooden handled tray that I intend to paint in the new kitchen colors and stencil.

I plan to be at the ReStore first thing Tuesday when they open so I can measure those shutters. I hope I can make them work and that they're still there! My housekeeper/care provider comes on Tuesday and she enjoys helping me with things like this so it's perfect!

Yanita, I did sign up recently for a Freecycle group here in my city! There is an incredible selection of things people are giving away! I am REALLY sad, though, about how many pets are being offered. :cry:
Julie
Trudi

Oh, I learned the hard way to carry a tape measure in my purse. :lol:

We won't discuss the all wood, solid as a rock, one piece, twin bed with the storage drawers underneath, which I bought for my grandson in another state, BEFORE I realized that it wouldn't make the turn to go down the hallway and around the corner in their mobile home, and is now stored in a shed out back!!! :oops: It's a shame too; it was only about $38. :(