Spring Garden and Landscape Projects!

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Maureen

Hi Folks, yep it's me again! Now I'm going to stir the pot about gardening and landscaping projects that you're planning this year!

We'd all like to hear what everyone's plans are this year! When we hear of your plans, that gives us ideas about our own projects.

I'm not going to be planting much this year, other than my annuals and a few veggies. Once again, I'm going to plant my veggies among my flower beds. This worked very well for me last year. Veggies are just as cheap as annuals, give off color and provide food. Now, I have 7 very large beds in my yard, so marrying the both, flowers and veggies are very economical for me. The pay off is great also... you get real food during the Summer! There are many veggies, that are decorative during the Summer, while producing food. How cool is that?

As I sated previously, Rocky will get his own tomato garden this year. I'll fence off the others. He only eats the tomatoes, and only when they're ripe. I figure 3 plants and he'll be in heaven for the Summer!

My big garden project this year is going to be improving the drip system that we have over the 1/3 acre. Some zones need more water than others. I have to get out there and add a new sprinklers and drizzlers here and there. I also want to add another hose bib to the pvc hose bibs that I have around the house. This is something that the original owner started and I just have expanded. It takes a little maintenance each year, but it gives you more than one place to attach a hose. This is a big deal if you own property and have only one or two outdoor spigots. It's very inexpensive also!

My big goal this year is to keep the water usage down. We live in a drought area... high desert. That's a real big deal here. Our water bills, like electric and gas are growing by leaps and bounds. We've had a dry Winter, so it will be interesting to see if I can keep the water bill to a decent average and still keep everything alive here.

Please, when giving landscape and gardening tips, make sure that you mention your area of the world, or better yet, fill out your profile! This is another area where your local does play a big difference!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
Sylvia

Maureen, Rocky is a dog isn't he? Tomato plants and tomatoes at least green ones, are poisonous to dogs. Better to be safe than sorry and to enjoy the tomatoes yourself! (or send some to me!)

http://www.chihuahua-people.com/showthread.php?t=3445
Yanita

Hi Everyone,

Well last year I spent most of my time removing what the previous owners had left. Alot of plant removal and general clean up of the place. I spent the summer documenting what areas get the most sun, least sun, low spots, wind etc....think I got enough info.

So far this year we have gotten in the water garden/pond. Its not completely finished but it is up and running. Still need to make a small house type structure that will have a water wheel. Overall dimensions are approx 22'x16"x3' deep. Will post pics latter on, still need to complete it.

The long narrow (pre established) flower garden down the backside of the home has been refurbished. I have added hosta, roses, bachelor buttons, daisy of several genres, hmmm forget what else is there.

There was also a pre established triangular garden, cleaned that out and planted many bulbs, everything from daffodils, to dahlias.

We planted a couple trees out back also, a Japanese red maple near the water feature and a tulip tree, and a mimosa! Hopefully in years to come the back of the home will get some shade.

We got the pergola built on one end of the deck out back. I planted wisteria and climbing roses to grow up and over that, again hoping to gain some shade on that side of the home. Will also eventually give me a place to relax and read in an area not as hot as the pool deck!

My next real outside project is to clean up what we call the "Girls House". This is a pool barn type structure that is over a concrete slab. It's large enough to park a boat under. Another thing that was here when we bought the place.

When you exit the master bedroom you go down the steps and you are in the Girls House, (granddaughter's play area). Cross over that area up a set of steps and you are on the pool deck.

Anyways, for the Girl's House I want to pressure wash the slab and then paint the concrete some design. I have a bunch of new canvas painters drop clothes that I am going to have the girls stencil on and hang in the corners so we can have "curtains" to pull closed in the evening hours. It currently has corrugated tin roof. We want to remove a few of those panels and get some translucent fiberglass panels to create some sky light type things.

There is also a garden between the house and the girls house, approx. 5x8, this is semi shady. So far I have put in a hydrangea, several ferns, hostas, daylillies and periwinkles. There is a bird house on a pole in this garden that I have a passion vine growing on. Have a couple elephant ear bulbs that I need to squeeze into this area as well. I have a tendency to like very full gardens, LOL, sort of over plant. On each corner of the Girl's House I have planted climbing roses. Am also getting together several stained glass pieces that I want to hang around the eaves to create kind of an out door room effect.

Other than this my only other real plans for the summer is I would like to get a pergola built over the front entrance of the home. The front of the home is very boring, non dimensional. Yes, we have very nice boxwood shrubs and a Camilla on each corner, but it is still boring to me.

Our front door entrance is brick steps coming up on a concrete porch trimmed with more brick. This is about 6x10. I want to put up a pergola over this entry and get some vines planted. Replace the exterior standard issued MH exterior light with an antique looking carriage light. Right now all thats out there are 2 large urns with arborvitaes and petunias, potato vines and periwinkles.

Anyways, this is what we have done so far and a few projects I'd like to get done this summer. other than that, there is always plenty in the house to do on rainy days.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Handweaving

Yanita,
Sure would love to see pictures of your yard. Any chance of that happening?
Yanita

LOL,

I am trying to get the hang of this picture thing. I am electronically challenged, and seem to have a major mental block on pics.

But to answer your question, yes I am working on getting them together. Will also be taking another set of the same shots to see the difference in the plants that have been planted. Also on some of the things that have been completed.

Will try to get some in soon :wink:

~Yanita~
Maureen

Hi Sylvia,

I did my homework right after I found out who was stealing my tomatoes last year! I wasn't sure about dogs and tomatoes at all! Like most folks, I've always had both and never seen a dog steal tomatoes! Trust me, he's well fed also LOL! He won't touch them unless they are ripe. He doesn't eat any other part of the plant either. He just gently plucks them off the stem with his big old mouth (he's a very large German Shepard, 160 pounds, not over weight... just really big). He also won't touch them if they are over ripe.

I'll plant 3 tomato plants for him in areas that I can watch when he is outside. He's well into his senior years so he doesn't get very far away from me these days. The ripe tomatoes didn't bother him at all last year, so I'm not too worried. Thanks for the link and the tips. Most dogs won't touch veggies at all, unless they have that need to chew everything. Rocky is well beyond that point. He's never chewed up stuff.... he just like tomatoes I guess! He's never touched any of the other veggies. It's very weird LOL!

Maureen

8) 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'

My doxie loves veggies !! Broccoli is her favorite.

Here is my 50.00 raised flower bed I did last year.

ok.. I'll post a picture as soon as I fugure out how.
klm9707

Since we had our home set in last fall while the weather had already turned bad, our yard is a horrible mud pit. Any body out there want to make mud pies? It will not stop raining here in northwest PA. I think it has snowed or rained EVERY day since the home was set. Need to pick up all of the large staples left behind in the yard. :evil: Also need to get something planted the entire way around the home. Our home is "evergreen" colored with white skirting. The white looks so bright next to the dark green so I am considering a mixture of blue rug juniper and dwarf Alberta spruce (away from windows) to tone down the white of the skirting and provide protection from the weed eater and mower. These would also provide color in the winter when everything is dead and ugly. Now if it would only warm up and dry out.......[/img]
Jim from Canada

Oh gosh, where to begin with yard work. Have a few more dead/dying trees to come out. The ones that remain are all close to the house and leaning toward it. Went and bought a whack of rope and some block pulleys so I can bring them down. There goes all our wonderful shade! Sal and I are going to do a road trip and tour the back roads on a cedar quest. Hope to get about 100 of them for a hedge to put between us and our delusional neighbours. We just got the official lot layout from the city and the neighbours are going to be in for an awakening when he finds he will be loosing a whole bunch of his back yard. We have a standing order with one of the local farmers for all the rocks he picks off his fields and we will be doing more with the fountain/water feature that we put in last year. We have to keep costs down as the roof needs to be done and the mini van is getting to the end of its usefulness. I am bent on getting a pick up but Sal hates trucks. I want the whole thing, 3/4 ton, diesel, 4x4, extended cab (for the dog) Chevy. Not new of course, who has that kind of money??? As far as flowers and such I will just leave Sal to her usual ways, she has a knack of getting it right, I just do the digging and take instructions.

Jim
Yanita

Hi Jim,

Hope you and Sal are doing well.

I sure do envy you with the rocks! When I lived in Vermont I was forever cursing them every time I drove the shovel into the ground!

Here in Eastern N.C. rocks seem to be in short supply, well unless you go to a rock quarry and all I have found there is granite chunks that are used to shore up culverts...not attractive to me anyways.

Just this past week end we went to a local Mexican Pottery Store that sells natural rock, limestone, sandstone , slate, river rock, etc...I bought a slab of something that was about 2 1/2 foot across x the same, about 2" thick....25 cents a pound...yeah, 42.00 latter for one rock! Got it home and in place at the water garden and discovered I needed 2 more but smaller...back we went...another 18.00 for one and 11.00 for the other.

If it wasn't for the granddaughters standing area so they can feed the fish from solid ground I would of come up with something much cheaper.

Had hopes of bringing home some rock from Vermont this year, but wow the price of gas is now $3.09, gone up over 40 cents a gallon in the last 2 weeks!

Anyways look forward to seeing what you are going to do with all the rock and the water feature. It looked great last year, LOL, how can you possibly improve it? :lol:

As for the cedars, yup, can't blame you guys for going riding for them either! This home we bought, out back is all commercial fields, and the wind whips threw them. We are looking at putting a wind break of cedars as well. Went to Home Depot to check there prices while on sale, shock, catch your breath, shock! Anything in a 3 gal container starts at 49.97, we figure we need at the minimum of 10....basic math put a stop to that.

We know some people up the road that are doing some clear cutting, lots of cedar in there, they said take what we want...WOO HOO, not all perfect shaped like at the stores, but hey they will work!

Good to hear from you again, and say hey to Sal.

Have a great night,

~Yanita~
Jim from Canada

Hey Yanita

Nice thing about cedars is that once you get them re planted in thier own little area they tend to fill out nicely in a couple of years. BTW, I like your pic you are useing on your posts....kinda nice to be able to put a face to the names. That is a good one of you!

Jim
Yanita

Hi Jim

Yeah, I did some checking on the trees, many are quite full already some are a little spindly looking...either way they are coming home LOL.

I can not remember who told me, or how I learned this, or worse yet if I am just imagining it...anyways been told when removing trees or shrubs from the wild to notice which way the sun has been shining on them, if there is green mold on the northern side, make sure to set them back into the new area facing the same way. Maybe it helps with the transition, maybe a myth... have you ever heard this....

I know when I worked in the nurseries we always rotated the stock so everything grew even. At any rate we are going to give them a try, nothing lost if they do not survive, gotta do it quick though as hot weather is coming soon!

Yeah, Mark wanted the mods to put our mug shots on as avatars, for the same reason you mentioned. Thanks for the compliment, personally I think I take lousy pics, LOL, that's why there are few of me! I can not take the credit for uploading it, Mark did it for me!

I agree though, it's nice to see who you are talking with. LOL, sometimes when folks change there avatars to their own pics I am like WOW, that's not what I pictured in my mind! Kinda funny sometimes.

Good talking with ya again,

~Yanita~
happysmyly

Wow--sounds like great things are happening all over! :) Here - since we just moved here--to eastern Utah - altitude abt 6000 ft, mostly high desert climate with TONS of wind - our main concerns this spring/summer are getting our outbuildings, patios, porches, pergolas, trails and gravel in place. We are, however, planning on planting some vines and shrubbery out front (330 ft) for a living fence--and we have a few trees that we wanted to get started in a someday to be an orchard area.
We are also starting to get plants from new friends in our area... who are sharing - so that our dirt is covered with something. I have really enjoyed the sharing attitudes out here. Something I found on the internet that I am going to try soon--apparently there is a plant sharing group on Yahoo... has anyone else tried this for specific plants? Much cheaper than any of the nurseries or Depots around.
I look forward to seeing everyone's pics... that way I can start putting together plans for the fun stuff for next spring/summer - once the 'bones' are in place.
Have fun and good luck with all your projects - thanks for sharing!!
Jim from Canada

Yanita
Can't recall ever hearing about facing the plants the same way as they grew. I must have planted a hundred trees from wild stock and they all seem to have taken OK, never checked for orientation. Just stuck 'em in the ground the way they looked good.

Jim
Yanita

Hi,

LOL, Since Hubby will be doing most of the carrying of the trees, then yeah they will probably just get set in the ground, the prettiest side facing us! :D

Happysmyly, I do not know of that site for plant sharing, but hey it sounds like a good idea. If you find it please share it. I know Maureen offered clippings from one of her plants...

~Yanita~