What model mobile home do I have?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

ben14826

Just thought I would see if anyone else has a mobile home like mine and might know the model name. I have looked everywhere for the model name and can't find it. It's not on the breaker box door, it's not on the frame pacard, it's not on the HUD placard, and it's not anywhere in the original paperwork for the home. Also why would two sides of the home be trimmed with the brown and two be plain? Here are a couple pics.

Yanita

Hi,

The trim difference on the exteriors walls...IMO, these are most likely to be the 2 sides most visible once the home is set up. I could be wrong and this is just a guess LOL. Ever noticed the front window typically have shutters and the backs don't?

Have you checked with the previous owners insurance company or other bank documents, typically this information is needed for finance and insurance purposes.

There are several people on this site that might be able to give you an idea of what model this home is. Generally, the homes I have seen in that style have model names riveted to the front near the window area, but I see that yours does not. Maybe take a closer look in that area and see if there is a faded name in there somewhere.

BTW, looks like that home is in real good shape for the year. Smart going with the slab! IMO, all MH should be on a slab.

Have a great day,

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
ben14826

Thanx for the comments Yanita. Yes it is in what I would call excellent shape for being ten years old. The interior is also in VERY nice shape. I have had such a blast working on the home and getting it set up. I now have some really nice clay colored skirting on it, and the stairs are set up. I should get some more pics so taht everyone can see the difference. Also I think it would be interesting to see what everyone thinks a mobile home like this is worth? I think I paid a little bit too much, but I'm happy because of how good of shape it is in, both ouside and inside.
Handweaving

Hi and welcome,
Here's the site where I eventually found my home. If yours turns out to be a Fairmont it could be listed here. Sorry, I don't remember how I ever came upon it! I found some information inside my fuse box.
http://www.fairmonthomes.com/floor_plans.php
Casondra

With mine, its in the master bedroom closet on the wall.
Greg

Ben, when "Stock" homes are ordered for display on the sales lot , witch yours could have been they are ordered for mass appeal as well as price. If people are walking the lot looking at display models chances are that that they would not walk all around the home, just the front and in the door and on to the next home. that is one possibility as well as Yanita's. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
ben14826

So anyone have any opinion on what a good price for a mobile home like this would be?
Maureen

Hi Ben,

With our homes, anything is possible! From the photos of your home, it's pretty hard to tell. I do have to sort of agree with Greg. It looks like a sale lot model.

If you can't find any info on the home anywhere, it's likely that it could be a pre hud. That means that it was built before 1977, for the most part. There is about a year either way as to whether it's considered a pre-hud or not. From the photos, it actually looks like an early 80's model.

Here's how I found out the very little info we have about our 'oldie, but goodie' home! I traced the old personal property taxes down at the county recorders office. The prior owner also gave us information he had on the house for insurance purposes. We had to have this info before converting our 'oldie' to real estate.

We still don't know the manufacturer of the home. Not a real big deal since they are most likely out of business, or have merged with another company. We know that the model is a Townehouse and it was built in '73. That has done us well as far as insurance and our mortgage goes.

As far as a good price as for the home, that really depends on your specific area. Older homes in my area aren't worth much, unless they have the land and have been converted to real estate. My home itself might sell for between $8,000 to $10,000 alone. With the land, shop, outbuildings, deck and all the other stuff, like landscaping, it's valued at just over 200k.

Check and see what homes are selling for in your area. You can sort of guess as to the year of the home. That's your best bet.

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
Harry

Hi Ben

One of the dealers nearby was selling a home like yours for $15K.

This included a HVAC package unit, local transportation, installation and hookup.

Good Luck.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
ben14826

Thanx for the reply Harry. Well I'll just say what I paid and get it out of the way. I paid $16,500 for it and that included delivery, blocking, and leveling. I figure this was a little high now looking back, but hindsight is always 20/20. Both the exterior and interior are both in excellent condition, and the inside is set up very nicely. I am still open to your opinions. Do you think this is a fair price? Would you have paid that much for a mobile home like this? Maybe I should get interior pics, as that would probably have a lot to do with it. I am curious to see what everyone thinks. The size is 14 x 70, and it is a 2 bed 2 bath.
ben14826

Maureen wrote:Hi Ben,

With our homes, anything is possible! From the photos of your home, it's pretty hard to tell. I do have to sort of agree with Greg. It looks like a sale lot model.

If you can't find any info on the home anywhere, it's likely that it could be a pre hud. That means that it was built before 1977, for the most part. There is about a year either way as to whether it's considered a pre-hud or not. From the photos, it actually looks like an early 80's model.

Here's how I found out the very little info we have about our 'oldie, but goodie' home! I traced the old personal property taxes down at the county recorders office. The prior owner also gave us information he had on the house for insurance purposes. We had to have this info before converting our 'oldie' to real estate.

We still don't know the manufacturer of the home. Not a real big deal since they are most likely out of business, or have merged with another company. We know that the model is a Townehouse and it was built in '73. That has done us well as far as insurance and our mortgage goes.

As far as a good price as for the home, that really depends on your specific area. Older homes in my area aren't worth much, unless they have the land and have been converted to real estate. My home itself might sell for between $8,000 to $10,000 alone. With the land, shop, outbuildings, deck and all the other stuff, like landscaping, it's valued at just over 200k.

Check and see what homes are selling for in your area. You can sort of guess as to the year of the home. That's your best bet.

Maureen 8)
Hi Maureen, Thanx a lot for the reply. I guess I didn't give enough info to begin with, sorry for that. I do know the year and who makes it, just not the actual model name. The home is a 1996 Champion. It was made in PA, and was previously owned by a couple in Hornell, NY. I am glad I went with a newer one, because after reading a lot of articles and posts here about old polybutylene plumbing and the host of other issues that you can have, I am at least newer than some of them. That's not to say that I haven't had my fair share of "fixes" to do though! Thanx again for the reply!
ben14826

Hey everyone, I just had an idea. I wonder if the home has only two sides with trim because it was custom ordered that way? My thought was that maybe the back and one end were up against a hill, and the front and oher end were the only sides exposed and seen? If they ordered it custom it may have been cheaper. It wouldn't seem like that little bit of cost difference would have been much so I doubt it, but it is an idea. I think I'm still leaning more toward Gregs idea. Anyone have any ideas for decorating or changing the two plain sides? Would I ever be able to find that kind of trim and sheet metal to make it go all the way around?
Susan

Ben,

If you got a 10-year old home delivered and set up for $16,500 that is in as good condition as you say, IMHO, you got a GREAT deal. Something like that here in No. Calif., set up in a park would cost you $40 - 50,000. A co-worker of mine just sold her mother's 1964 SW (10x50) 2bed/1 bath, set up in a park for $5, 500.

Best wishes for a lot of happy years to come in your new home.
Yanita

Hi,

In my area of Eastern NC a 14x80, 10 year old home, regardless of upgrades, but still in real good condition...$8,000.00 tops. You pay the extra for delivery and set up!

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Harry

Hi Ben

$16,500.00 for a 1997 Champion in very good condition, delivered, set-up, anchored on a slab, on your own property. I call it a great deal.

Congratulations!

Harry

PS: What r u doing 4 skirting?
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?