Why can't Glueless Vinyl be installed over particle Board?

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

CaboWabo

We were over at Lowes looking for flooring for our new MH and found some real nice Armstrong No Glue Vinyl flooring on Clearance, $.65 sq ft. I think this would be a nice flooring for our kitchen. I have never put down a "Glueless" Vinyl before so I did a little Internet surfing and kept finding the same thing, do not install over particleboard.

Why not?

What would I have to do to use the glueless flooring if we decide to get it?

Thanks! CaboWabo
It is what it is
Yanita

Hi,

Not sure the technical reasons other than the particle board is not a smooth surface. You will need to lay down luan (1/4" thick ply.) Cheap enough per sheet. Check the install instructions as some vinyls are not recommended to use over a birch luan. Make sure you know which luan you are getting. Can be bought at Lowe's/Home Depot.

When installing the luan make sure your joints stagger those of the particle board. Float the screw heads and seams, sand smooth.
Install vinyl. I have always used the non glue vinyls, real easy installs. I always did mine on warm days, laid the vinyl in the sun for a few minutes, makes it real pliable.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Harry

Hi

Yanita is correct.

No Glue Vinyl must "float freely" else it may buckle.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?