Heat Tape

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Tim M

Ok....I always come here first before I call anyone else! -3 here today and woke up with frozen water line. No water at any faucet. We have been here for 16 years and never a problem. Put a hair dryer down in the pit where the water line comes up and after a couple hours got water to start running. I have the original heat tape that was installed when the home was set up. It extends down into the pit. There is an orange light lit on the plug under the house where it's plugged in. Is that light saying the heat tape is working? Or...is it just saying there is power at the plug in? Not sure how these tapes work.

Thanks
Greg

After 16 years it's time to replace the tape. Most expect them to last 5-6 years with no problems. After that you should change them just to be safe.

The indicator light may be on, but if the tape it's self has an open connection it's never going to get warm. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Tim M

Guess my luck ran out on this tape. Sounds like I got my monies worth though. How far down in the pit should a tape go? I haven't pulled the insulation out but the existing tape goes down at least a foot to the insulation. Also, I read you shouldn't wrap a plastic line with the tape , but run it length wise down the pipe. Any truth to this? Thanks for the help Greg.
Greg

Follow the manufacturer's instructions to the letter,Many are different. Too many fires have been caused by improper heat tape installation. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."