WINDOW QUESTION

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Seacoast Sharon

A couple of my windows seem to have a ton of condensation whereby I get puddles on the sill and over time has rotted the wood. Before I put the storm son now I put towels in there to help asorb the moisture.

Any one else experience this? Any suggestions of what to do?
Greg S

In the winter you need to run a dehumidifier to reduce the moisture level in the air.

The humidity level in your home is too high. This is common in the winter due to our homes being closed up not allowing the moisture from cooking, showers etc. to escape. The moisture laden air contacts the cold window surfaces and condenses.
Greg

This is a very common problem in a mobile, usually there are 2 problems. First mobile homes are notorious for poor windows that leak cold air. As a result the cold air mixes with the warm air and condensation forms. The other problem may be a humidity problem, but with air leakage it does not take much humidity to cause a problem.

Many of us here have upgraded to "real " windows to solve the problem.
Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Seacoast Sharon

Thanks for your response guys. Now I have to check to see if I bought a humidifier or dehumidifier that's stored away. I have replaced just about all the windows because they are poor. Just have to replace the 3 in the livingroom and the 2 in the bedroom to be done with this problem. Thanks again!
Yanita

Hi,

In the meantime it is wise to run your exhaust fan while cooking and for at least 15 minutes after, same during and after showers.

I am not sure but I would not think the the towels on the sills are not that good of an idea either. They will not dry out therefore keeping a wet towel on the wood at all times.

JMO,

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!