New Furnace or Single Unit Heat Strip

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

njansen1

I just purchased a Seasonal 1965 Mobile Home with a stick built
addition. The total Square Footage is 1250. I had the single unit
A/C replaced with a 2.5 ton Coleman single unit. The original furnace is Propane but my HVAC Contractor told me not to use it
because of safety. He said I could install a 10KW heat strip in the
single unit or replace the existing furnace with a 12KW new Electric
Furnace. The Duct work is interconnected with larger ducts for the addition and the original ducts for the Mobile Home.
I would like to know which you feel is the better solution as cost is
equal. Would the old mobile home ducts be large enough? Located
in Central Alabama and used only on short stays. 9000 BTU Kerosene heater seemed to do a good job when temp hit 28 degrees last week but I don't like the smell.
Robert

Hi,

With them being same cost and basicly the same kw's, really depends on what you prefer.

Placing heat strips in outside self-contained a/c unit and removing furnace gives you an extra closet space and less noise inside.

Mobile home ducts have to be certain size, so the ducts there should be fine.

Be sure the blower motor in the self-contained a/c unit is rated for mobile ducts.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
njansen1

Thanks for the info, A/C is a Coleman Mobile Home Unit . I guess I forgot to give some information. When the A/C runs I get a lot more air from the outlets in the addition than in the Orig Mobile Home. Only three interconnects between ducts, appear to be 2 x 12 interconnects. Addition is on West side and gets afternoon heat
so A/C seems to cool evenly. Also return air in addition and Orig
Mobile home. Overall the entire structure is fairly open. I guess my concern would be even heating. Really no need for more closet space.
Robert

Hi,

With what you stated, heat would be same as a/c if you put heat strips in a/c unit.

This will need to be inspected by an hvac tech in person to really tell which would be best.

Also, if deciding to stay with inside furnace, make sure you have close off dampers at bottom of furnace connection to duct and at supply connection to duct from a/c unit.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
njansen1

Thanks again for advice, dampers are installed. I'll talk again to my contractor.
Robert

Hi,

You're very welcome, happy to help.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert