Outdoor Propane Tanks - Winter storage

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Gondo

I have a propane fireplace in my mobile home. It currently uses a 100lb tank sitting outside with a valve for refilling from a truck. I'd like to get rid of this tank and replace it with two 25 or 30lb tanks. I only use the fireplace as a luxury and not primary heat so I don't go through enough propane to require a 100lb or larger tank. I'd get these tanks refilled at Costco or a similar place for half the price of delivery off the truck.

What I'd like to do is get 2 tanks, hook them together using a 2 stage automatic regulator to switch from the empty to full tank, like on travel trailers. I live in Canada where we can get storms with 5ft+ drifts and you wake up not being able to see your car in the driveway cause it's burried. A small 25lb tank sitting outside on a block would get burried pretty easily. So I was wondering if I could put an access door on the skirting and put the tanks just inside? Would this be safe, all the propane lines are run under the mini home anyways.

If not under the mini home, I'm going to put a plastic cover on the tanks outside like on travel trailers. Any ideas on how to protect the tanks form the elements while keeping it safe and legal?
Robert

Hi,

I would suggest checking on this through the local gas company and/or codes office.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?