new furnace installed in basement

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

JackCracker

I have a DBL wide on a basement with a 500sq ft addition off the back with walk out. right now that is being heated with cheap ventless gas stove. I would like to get a new furnace installed in the basement that will heat/cool the whole place. I would also like the get the tinfoil ducting replaced at the same time.
has anyone had a furnace installed and new ducts ran. if so... what should I look out for and what did it cost.

T.I.A.
Robert

Hi,

Get you 2-3 local hvac contractors with manufactured housing hvac knowledge and get them to consult and give estimates.

Be sure to have them do an ACCA Manual J and Manual Load Calcs done to know proper sizing of units and ductwork.

Several have replaced furnaces and ducts and added them in basements, costs vary with the areas and companies involved, too much so to geusstimate.

I've been in this trade for 29+ years, find to correct contractor first and listen and ask lots of questions and all should be fine.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
JackCracker

Hi Robert,

thanks for the reply.

If I am removing the old unit and installing a normal house type unit, cant I got with any HVAC person?
on the ACCA Manual J and Manual Load Calcs, is this a manufactured housing test or just a HVAC test that every one should be doing?

I know the one that I have right now is probably not the most efficient.. do you think there will be a monthly savings with the new unit?

will I be able to use my current AC unit.

sorry for all the questions.... and thanks again

Tim
Robert

Hi Tim,

IF you replace the ductwork with normal housing duct, you caan use regular housing hvac blower motor.

However, you are still living in and heating a manufactured home and your furnace must be a manufactured housing rated unit.

With it being installed in a basement, there may be some exceptions there, not sure as I've never ran into that yet.

You will need to check HUD regs on it.

Because of this and the fact that you have a manufactured DW, I would get someone knowledgeable in both MH's and regular housing.

A new unit should show some savings over the old.

Manual J and Manual D Load Calcs are for hvac installs period.

Manual J is unit size, heating and a/c.

Manual D is duct size.

The Manual J will tell you size of a/c needed for the area being cooled. IF your current a/c is correct, keep it.

You're very welcome, happy to help.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?