No Drain from AC

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

ebetsch

My AC unit has water collected in 3 of the vents and I have searched everywhere for the drip line from my central air unit and do not see that the condensation is being released anywhere. Where would this line be located and how can I remedy the problem of water in 3 of my vents?

Thanks for your Help!

Erika
Robert

Hi Erika,

Look at A-Coil (top of furnace if electric and bottom of furnace if gas). Look at drain pan underneath the a-coil and the front left will have a drain line attached.

It will come out and turn 90* down and run down through floor beside the two a/c refrigerant lines.

Go underneath home and go to area under the furnace.

Look for the two refrigeration lines (large copper insulated and small copper uninsulated) exiting the underbelly.

IF you do not see the pvc, plastic, etc. drain line also, you'll have to cut a X in the underbelly and look up inside with flashlight to locate drain line, which is sometimes just ran through floor and left unfinished.

Then, you'll have to either connect to what's there or run a whole new line from drain pan. Best is cpvc pipe, but whatever is used, make sure it is 3/4" .

If you have electric furnace with a-coil at the top, place a trap in the drain line , preferrably as close to drain pan as possible.

Then, run the drain line out beside outside a/c condensing unit and check it for condensation dripping regularly.

For water in ducts, it could be unfinished drain line, clogged drain line, rusted or cracked drain pan, no trap in drain lineif applicable, clogged up "troughs" (one on each side) of a-coil under the two a-coil sides where the condensate runs to and then runs out into front of drain pan.

Most mobile home ducts have openings due to poor craftmanship and thus, water in duct probably means water in underbelly meaning wet insulation.

If so, water needs to be drained out of underbelly and all wet insulation removed and replaced after underbelly area has air dried.

Hope this helps.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?