Roof Rakes?

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

sd0321

Just read a post about roof rakes?

You mean we have to shovel snow on a mobile home roof??##!! :-)

How? Can you do this with a roof rake from ground level, or am I going to need a ladder?

What kind of places sell roof rakes, and what do they look like? How much snow can be up there before you have to get it off of the roof?

Anyone who has time to answer - thanks!

Sherry
Barb P

Sherry, my roof rake reaches 16 ft. I only can do one side of my home, standing on the ground, because it's on a hill and the south side is too high.
I really only need to do the north side anyway, as the occasional sun keeps the south side clearish.
I purchased mine at a local hardware store for $40, many years ago.
It has a curved plastic blade, with a long metal handle, which comes apart, so you can meke it the length that's right for you. You pull the snow off the roof.
I pull off a lot of snow, but don't clear down to the metal, so as not to damage the roof.
BarbP
Yanita

Hi,

Yup, Barb has the right answer! Never let a heavy snow accumulate on your roof. Not a real good idea to get up there with a shovel either. Some do, but if you must, stay on the rafters.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
sd0321

Yanita and Barb,

Thanks for your answers. I'll put getting a roof rake on my to do list and check the local biggy, Menards, for one.

Hmmm....I distinctly remember the conversation with the gal who I used to work with about how I sold the house I had because of all the snow shoveling and grass mowing and weed eating....

"What shoveling?" she said..... "the mobile home park clears the snow, you only have to do around your car if it is parked there when they clear it!"

Never said anything about any roof needing snow removal....... maybe I better take another look in "the shed" and see if I see anything that looks like it could be a roof rake, 'cause she must have had one?

I'm glad to hear you can do this from the ground, I can do that..... again, thank you - Sherry
Yanita

Sherry,

I lived in a mobile home when I lived in Vermont. Seldom did we have to remove snow from the roof. Seems the way the wind blew and the sun shined it took care of it self. BUT, there were/are those nor'easters, then we kept the snow removed. If this is your first winter there then just make a mental note and watch it. If you live in a park generally there are teenage boys around looking to make a few bucks! Hand them the roof rake!

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
sd0321

Yanita,

That sounds like a plan to me. I'll get a roof rake to have on hand and wait and see if I need to use it. Maybe the wind and sun will take care of it most of the time, like you said, and maybe I won't have to do this unless we get 8 inches at once.

Sherry
oldfart

Aye Ma'm...buy a roof-rake!!! Best purchase I've made in the past 20yrs. and then some!! Mind ye I bought mine back in 1997 right after we had a record snowfall of about 36in. of snow (overnight!!!!!) here in south-central Pa.!! Now, mind ye I was up in north-western Pa. on a hunting trip so I didn't actually have to use it...BUT...here's the great part! M'am...we ain't had but a trifle of snow SINCE! Paid $40 at Home Depot as I recall...a 16 footer with them "add-more-as-you-need-them" handles. It hangs down yonder in the garage now....ain't had to use it yet. But buyin' one is great joo-joo. It's like buying a spare battery for the van..a portable air-compresser that plugs into yer cigerette lighter, road-side flares...studded winter tires...emergency rations and all that other stuff clutterin' up my garage. If I buy it...I'll never need it! And that's a good thing. Now if you ever do actually need it...like the power generater and kerosene heater I bought back in Y2K when everything was goin' to fail....I'd have it on hand. I also have tire-chains, MRE's, survival suits, gas masks, a huge cache of toilet paper and a sizeable pile of other stuff. I am...prepared. :) Audie..the Oldfart...
sd0321

So that's the way it works.....if you buy it you won't need it.......then along with that roof rake I should get a top of the line snow shovel and a lifetime supply of snow melt salt stuff.....and it'll be like I'm back in California...... :-)
Harry

Yo

No snow here.....

But I could have used a roof rake this summer. The grandkids frizbee kept landing on the roof.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?