no air flow through one half of the house

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

mwaga

I have a 1996 double wide Redman home and there is little or no airflow through the trunkline on the furnace side of the house. The opposite side with the flex duct is fine. Someone told me I might need a new "heat exchange unit'(??)

Any advice would really be appreciated.
Robert

Hi,

Airflow would have to leave furnace and flow through trunkline on furnace side before crossing over to other half of home.

Your question is therefore confusing somewhat.

Are you sure it isn't other way around ?

Unless just some registers are without good airflow on furnace side, could that be correct ?

You can remove register grilles, lay flashlight down in one and go to next one and hold mirror down looking back toward the light.

Do this to inspect trunklines for blockages or damage.

Underneath home will be a crossover duct to other side.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
mwaga

Well, here's the situation:

The condensation pan on the air conditioner cracked and water filled up the flex duct. Long story short: we replaced the entire central air conditioner sytem including A-Coil, pan and furnace motor and flex duct.

For some reason, the side of the house with the cross over duct gets great airflow but the furnace side doesn't. When I've asked others I get a bunch of different responses that range from that's "the way these houses are you just have to live with it" to the most recent one where I was told to replace the heat exchange unit.

Trust me, I'm as confused as the next guy now.
Robert

Hi,

The crossover duct connects to both sides, so saying side with crossover is confusing.

The air is circulated out of furnace into furnace side trunkline.

It then flows into crossover that connects to other side trunkline.

It has to flow through crossover to get to other side.

Therefore it has to flow through furnace side trunkline in order to reach crossover.

IF you have zero/low flow to entire furnace side, then you would have same or less in other half of home.

Go underneath and disconnect crossover at furnace side collar and see if airflow is sufficient there.

Also inspect the trunklines as stated in previous post.

If trunklines are clear and crossover is not kinked or torn, airflow should be ok.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?