Beadboard in Kitchen

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Katie

It has been forever since I joined, but we had so much repairing to do after we found the termite damage, I could not even think of decorating.
We installed the "White Ice" paneling in our master bath over thin sheetrock....we had to tear practically the whole back corner off the place! we are getting it all trimmed out now.... we put down new vinyl on the floor over the new plywood, which we had to put down to replace the rotted out particle board... a person can actually smile walking in there now!!!!!
My question: Has anyone here put regular beadboard paneling on your kitchen walls? I need to cover the old damaged paneling before we hang new cabinets.... and I want to paint it. it comes in 4 x 8 sheets.... has anyone used this???
It's only money, Right?
Yanita

Hi,

I have not done it in the kitchen...yet, but it is going to be done when we renovate that area.

I used the beadboard in the bathroom though. I sanded it down, primed and painted...looks great.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Katie

I am hoping it won't be too hard to clean.... I kind of worry about it behind the stove... I have been looking on the web and have seen some nice pictures of it used as back-splash, and behind the cabinets... I will let you know what I decide, tho I am pretty well convinced I want to put it up. I think it would be better to have it all painted before we install it... tho I don't know where I would lay it all down.... we are in our rainy season here, rains every afternoon, so I can't paint it in the yard. For now, I am going to just do half of the kitchen at a time.... When you put it in your bathroom, did you nail it up to the wall before you painted it?
It's only money, Right?
Yanita

Hi,

Yes, surprisingly it is easy to paint. I used a thick nap roller and went at it. I used a brush to get the recessed areas.

When we get ready to do the kitchen I was thinking/still am about what to do behind the stove...so far my thoughts are to get a piece of plexi the size needed and screw that into place then use something like a wooden braided trim to frame it out.

Although lots of folks, myself included like the looks of tile, I personally do not want it in my home. So at this time the only thing I have come up with is the plexi. Thought about a sheet of cooper but it will clash with the color scheme of the kitchen.

Oh, when you purchase your beadboard there is a finished grade, that is for staining and then a paintable grade, the paintable one is cheaper. LOL, right now I am planning on staining mine...and have painted cupboards.

As for cleaning, I really find no difference for keeping this clean than any other wall. I want to protect behind the stove, like you mentioned...splattering grease could be a real headache in the grooves of the beadboard.

Yanita
Katie

thanks for the feedback. I went to HD today and picked up more varnish for the cabinets and was looking at the beadboard. I saw the different types, and will follow your suggestion and get the paintable kind... looks like it doesn't need as much sanding either. I have been stirring up different shades of paint and slapping in on the wall to see how it looks. I am leaning towards a tourquoise/teal color. I do this a lot...make up my own color then have it matched at the store... my new countertops are dark, kind of charcoal gray with some kind of fleck in it, bought it at Lowes.
When you mentioned "plexi" for behind the stove, did you mean plexiglass? that sounds interesting...its clear, right? How thick is it? my stepdaughter put a sheet of stainless steel behind her stove but it is too expensive, and it looks (to me) like a restaurant kitchen. I think tomorrow I will go get the paneling....
bye. Katie
It's only money, Right?
Yanita

Hi Katie,

Yes I was talking about plexiglass. It comes in different thicknesses. You could choose a trim of your choice, or use nothing more than a few nice looking (stainless) screws.

Yes, you could use a sheet of stainless, copper, tile, plexi, faux brick paneling or some other type of back splash behind the stove. I personally do not care for stainless either, to commercial looking and what a PITA to clean!

I have a small residential cleaning business and there are several products although pretty...LOL, you could not pay me to put in my own home!

The beadboard we purchased for the master bath is tongue and groove, so when installed there are no nails visible. Will use the same for the kitchen although that will be of finished grade and stainable. If you look at the difference between the two you will see in the paintable grade there are little plugs on some of them.

Have a great day,

Yanita
Trudi

Hi Katie,
I used beadboard paneling in my "full time" home's kitchen, not a mobile home. (Makes no difference, since it's the beadboard we're talking about. :) )

Anyway, I kept it natural in the beginning, for the "country" look, with only a light, clear sealer. Later, for the Tuscan inspired look, I did a colorwash on it, as I had seen in an Italian restaurant. It lightened up the kitchen, which is what I wanted.

The area over the stove is, believe it or not, no problem to clean. I cook a lot, but not a lot of frying, so maybe that's why. But even my spaghetti sauce splatters up on it from time to time, but I just get it quickly, and it's never been a problem. Since you're painting yours, that will probably be even easier than my color washed treatment. Remember, we want to see pics when you're finished. :)
Katie

Thank you all for your suggestions etc. I bought the "el-cheapo" full-panel (4x8) bead board and laid it out on the bed over 2x4s and another piece on the LR floor to sand and paint....(covered the bed up with dropcloths) so far I have one coat of primer on it I did last nite at about 11 pm. (dedication) My thought is to do only one side of the kitchen at a time....It will be a couple weeks, I think, before the handyguy gets ready to do it, but when we get it done, I will love to send pics. I am hoping it looks better than it does now... duh. I am thinking once it is painted etc, it will look good in there.... right now it looks like the kitchen of a third world country. (I will do before and after pics) Thanks again everyone!!

Katie
It's only money, Right?