question on duct

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

minnesota_native2000

A couple of my furnace registers have some small holes. What's the best way to fix this? My belly needs fixing so thought I'd fix the registers while I'm down there.

Thank you
Robert

Hi,

Are you talking about about down in the collar boot just under the register grilles that connects to the main trunk ?

That would be repaired from above. You can get to from down under, but would require alot of underbelly repair afterwards.

Foil backed tape is best and depending on hole sizes, maybe some aluminum sheeting or sheet metal and screws or pop rivets.

Then tape over seams with foil backed tape.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
minnesota_native2000

Hi

Yes I was talking about just under register grilles. The hole sizes really are not that big. I'll check the foil backed tape out. I imagine the area will have to be cleaned for the tape to stick properly.

thank you
Robert

Yes, clean as best you can, but be gentle as it is very thin and easily damaged.

You're very welcome, happy to help.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
CandyC

Hi ~ I'm jumping in here because I am not sure how to start a new thread and the question is in connection to this topic. Okay, now I have read in several posts that the duct work in a MH is easily damaged and that it is difficult to find somebody to clean it without problems...correct? Well, my problem is that I have done and am in the middle of serious remodeling projects in my home and there is lots of sawdust and sheetrock dust that has entered into my duct work and it's a mess! Not to mention the people that owned the home prior to me were pigs and stuffed stuff in there that I have tried fishing out but there is still stuff there and there it will stay until I figure somthing else out. Now for my question...seeing as how throughout the home I have taken up all floor coverings and it's down to the subflooring, is it feasible to simply cut out (after very careful measuring) the subflooring directly above all the duct work and replace it from above rather that tear apart the underbelly and go through that mess? I am replacing alot of my subflooring as is so just thought I'd run this past ya all. I also have had a few mice creep in here and the only way that could happen is throught the duct work so I am sure there are leaks or holes.
Any advise is so greatly appreciated. I just know I have to do something or I am going to have all this stuff (sawdust and sheetrock dust) blowing through my vents for a long time coming and I want to help in keeping the mice out. Thanks in advance for your help.
~ CandyC
Robert

Hi Candy,

I've never tried that or thought about it, but doubt it would be feasible. You have walls to contend with and have to be able to run strapping to hold the duct.

Just not something that can be done in total rerun of duct from above.

With what you've described, I believe you would be better off to replace it all rather than attempt cleaning and repairing.

However, I'm not there and stranger things have happened, so anything is possible if you're willing and determined.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert