electrical question

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

bluegrasstyme

being a feller, of many talents,
i was wondering, about a 1999 sunshine double wide, i purchased, and am planning on moveing into, this spring. i have done quite a bit of small repairs, from furnace fix, to floor fixes, and now on plumbing issues. but the question is-- above my electrical service box, inside at the laundry room, above it on the wall is a red colored on/off switch, all by itself.
investigation lends me to think this might be a on/off switch for smoke fire alarms installed in the house? and if so why would they have a switch to turn them off or on?----
any other ideas on this?
before i take the detectors down for painting i was gonna check this out, but if someone would know about the mystery red wall switch above the breaker pannel
SpongeBob

Hi and welcome to the forum!
I suspect it might be really a red cover plate that you refer to? If so, that is most likely be to shut your furnace off in an emergency when you can't get close to the furnace. . A quick check would be to run your furnace and shut the switch and see if the furnace also shuts down. Check for that first I would suggest.

-Bob
Mark
Site Admin

That switch is new to me also. I wonder if that switch turns on and off the power to your outside oulets? Be a handy way to wake up on a cold morning and turn on the plug that your car is plugged into.

I think it would be a code violation to be able to turn off your smoke alarms that easily. Maybe its for the furnace, but that seems a bit odd also.

Anyway, if you figure it out, be sure to post back.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!

I have one of those red cover plates to turn off the furnace near the rear door with "oil burner emergency shut off" written on it. I think I've had them in 3 homes I lived in and never ever used them. I know they are to turn off the burner...duh..,but exactly what "emergency" situation is this switch designed for?
SpongeBob

Hi, they are located near the door so that firemen can shut the fuel source to a furnace or boiler immediately upon entry.

-Bob
Mark
Site Admin

Well dang, I've been in a million mobile homes, and never saw or noticed anything like that red switch. Learn something new every day.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
Robert

Son, I say I say I say Soooon,,,,,,,,,we needs a pic or two to visualize this switch you have placed in our minds, LOL.

Like Mark, new one on me or could be one that has long since vanished from the front page of my memory bank.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?

Looks just like a regular wall mounted 15A-120V single-pole light switch, only the 4 1/2 X 2 1/2" cover plate is metal and red. Cover plate has "OIL BURNER EMERGENCY SWITCH" printed on it with arrows indicating ON & OFF with arrows. It's mounted a little higher on the wall than the switch for my outside light at the rear door of the MH. I've seen these things in almost every home I've lived in (stick-built) with an oil-fired furnace since I was a kid. Maybe a regional requirement? Oh and thanks for that info, Bob. I figured it must be something like that.
bluegrasstyme

the switch in question is red, the cover plate white.
this sets above the electrical panel about 1 foot above it

i verified it was not a cut off for the furnace, blower, nor heaters, or reley, as the furnace is a intertherm 15kw.

i investigated the switch, wireing but could not identify, by romex wireing connections to it, other than it does shut something off.

sunshine 1999 model double wide.

i will take a pix, and post later this week, regarding this switch.
would inquiry to sunshine homes , resolve this inquiry?
and if so, how to you contact someone there that would know the anwser ? <without going in circles >

moveing from a 118yr old historic home in southern indiana , to the hills of kentucky, has been our dream, and my job, resulted in us moveing to maintain employment. a double wide did not seem, at the time we purchased it, as a nightmare, but i am quite disappointed in the craftsmanship i have already found, in this home. but i will say it seems tight, and just a little tlc will make this a fine home for us. i plan on a roof peal off this spring, and put metal down on it, replaceing them cheep shingles, that some moron stapled on, and expected them to last 20+ years...... and its only been less than 10 and a roof leak, shingles blown loose, just a sloppy job it think..... but i will conquer the mess.

thanks for all your input, and what info i researched in the past months, was helpfull in repairing my furnace, faster, although i was familar with such, the info i dug thru was very good reference, and i can see that there are alot of folks, out there on your site that care, and partake of others problems, wish the whole world worked that way..
Greg

I guess the "red switch" must be a north east thing. Many houses around here have them for the furnace. I don't think I have ever seen them in a mobile. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
SpongeBob

Here's my red switch....we cannot get insurance or occupancy permit from the town without this installed. It is a 3-way switch with the other one just inside the furnace closet door. Hope this helps a bit.
-Bob
gman

Hi Bluegrass,

I also live and own sunshine 1999 model double wide. I have this same switch at my side entry.

I was told by the sales staff at the purchase of my home this switch was to shut down power to my water heater tank.

I have never tried it so cannot say for 100% that is what it does.

Gary

bluegrasstyme wrote:the switch in question is red, the cover plate white.
this sets above the electrical panel about 1 foot above it

i verified it was not a cut off for the furnace, blower, nor heaters, or reley, as the furnace is a intertherm 15kw.

i investigated the switch, wireing but could not identify, by romex wireing connections to it, other than it does shut something off.

sunshine 1999 model double wide.

i will take a pix, and post later this week, regarding this switch.
would inquiry to sunshine homes , resolve this inquiry?
and if so, how to you contact someone there that would know the anwser ? <without going in circles >

moveing from a 118yr old historic home in southern indiana , to the hills of kentucky, has been our dream, and my job, resulted in us moveing to maintain employment. a double wide did not seem, at the time we purchased it, as a nightmare, but i am quite disappointed in the craftsmanship i have already found, in this home. but i will say it seems tight, and just a little tlc will make this a fine home for us. i plan on a roof peal off this spring, and put metal down on it, replaceing them cheep shingles, that some moron stapled on, and expected them to last 20+ years...... and its only been less than 10 and a roof leak, shingles blown loose, just a sloppy job it think..... but i will conquer the mess.

thanks for all your input, and what info i researched in the past months, was helpfull in repairing my furnace, faster, although i was familar with such, the info i dug thru was very good reference, and i can see that there are alot of folks, out there on your site that care, and partake of others problems, wish the whole world worked that way..