Thin wall hangers

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

jo

Do the thin wall hangers really work. I have tried many different hangers over the last ten years only to find that none of them held for very long. One of the items I want to display is a shadow box that someone made for our wedding that weights at least 5lbs. would the thin wall hangers work
Greg

My wife uses streight pins put in at about 45* angle. It is amazing just how much they do hold, plus it leaves a very small hole. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."

If you're talking about the Hercules Hooks advertised on TV, I have some and they are terrible. I know several people here have used them without a problem, but I personally think they are useless for mobile home use. The walls of mobile homes are thinner than stick-built homes and the hooks are too widely curved to seat properly without hitting the back of the opposite wall first. They do not anchor themselves as advertised and any heavy weight will turn them upside down, possibly causing the item hung to fall (in my case, I broke a 10lb. mirror this way.) They look swell on TV, but are much harder to use in real life and do not puncture the wallboard anywhere near as easily as shown. I have had to use pliers on every one I've installed and even then it was an effort. There are many better options. For something 5lbs or less you could use adhesive picture hooks or picture hooks with small nails that are hammered in at a 45 degree angle. Just about any picture hook would do for something that light. For heavier items, or those I really don't want to fall, I always use all metal Hollow Wall Anchors or short Molly Bolts that expand behind the wall as they are screwed in. The plastic ones can loosen over time. Hope this helped.
Arlo

If you are talking about the ones in Home Depot called "thin wall anchors" - I love them. They are made of grey colored pot metal and have a sharp, pointy end and you use a phillips screw driver to screw them into paneling. Then you screw a screw into them. I used the 60 lb rated ones about 9 months ago to hang several items on my old (painted) wood paneling. I used two to hang a mirror that weighs about 30 lbs. and I hung a couple of pictures. They work sort of like plastic wall anchors. There was a big end cap display at my Home Depot and I though I'd try them. They are for anything you would use plastic hollow wall anchors for but you don't need a drill. I think they are brilliant. These seem more substancial than Hurcules hook which seem good for lighter pictures. Someone is bound to pop in and say to hang something heavy correctly you need to find a wall stud and screw into it and that still remains true.
jo

I was talking about the thin wall hangars in the on line catalog. I didn't realize that they had them at home depot. Will look for them. The idea of hanging anything on a stud is out of the question. While doing some repair work we found that where the wall boards join together that there is a piece of wood that comes up from the floor and down from the ceiling only about 15 inches. Looks like someone took a 1by6 and cut out the middle. Also we found that the wall 12ft long had a piece of wood (running from floor to ceiling and just glued and only about an 1/2 thick) Is this a normal thing for a 1997 Aspen Peak by Summit Crest? Will try the anchors from home depot. Hopefully they work would love to display my treasures. I may try the straight pins for my daughters room so she can display her pictures since she is constantly changing things around. I want something permanent for my pictures.