RE:Coleman Model#3500A820 Blower kicks on but no heat

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

WayneB.

Hey Robert thanks for getting back to me so quickly.Okay then...the furnace is a Coleman Model#3500A820 and the heat pump is a Nordyne Intertherm Model PCZ single phase split system heat pump.After reading your reply i went out to check,(just to make absolutely sure),and there is no outside disconnect/power box on or anywhere near the heat pump.Both the heat pump and the furnace are connected to the main circuit breaker box in the house.The breakers they are connected to are dual/bridged 50amp and 60 amp breakers and both have to be in the on position for the furnace to come on.The T-stat is an Intertherm and the Auto/Heat/EM Heat/On/Off/Cool controls are all located along the bottom of the T-stat not off to the side like the one pictured. There is also a Series B Heat Pump Relay Control #911254 box located in the front panel of the furnace,just below the ac line that has a switch that allows you to switch between Heat Pump on one side and Furnace on the other but moving the switch to either side has no effect at all.the transformer that is located inside this relay control box hums all the time and is very hot to the touch.Any help you can give me in figuring out how to get the furnace to heat would be greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,
WMB
Robert

Hi Wayne,

Ok, so they straight wired the outside condenser without a disconnect on wall nearby (code violation).

If you have a multi-meter to test with, you can see if you are getting 240VAC input to transformer LINE/PRIMARY side.

If so, then see if you are getting 24-28VAC on the output LOAD/SECONDARY side.

Those type units are very hard to troubleshoot if you are not knowledgeable in their wiring set-ups.

It is also difficult for someone experienced to do from here without seeing how it is wired.

Do you have your furnace wiring diagarm ? If so, wire only the furnace just like it shows to have heat for winter.

If not, let me know.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
WayneB.

hey Robert sorry about the delay in getting back to ya but i was in the hospital recovering from latest heart attack. Anyway thx for the advice got the furnace up and running by going thru the steps you gave me.I really appreciate it thx. next question is can you tell me what model/size coleman heat pump would work best with the furnace system I have..remember it's a model 3500A820 and it has an old Nordyne/Intertherm heat pump unit now that quite frankly has caused me nothing but problems since I bought this home in 2003...and bluntly put I am ready for a change!...thx for any and all advice you can give me on this matter. Talk to ya later,
Wayne B. :?
Robert

Hi Wayne,

Sorry to hear of your heart setbacks. Hope you are recovering well and doing the best as you possibly can.

Best to get 2-3 estimates/consults from reputable companies on a replacement.

To know correct size, you need a Manual J Load Calc.

We don't sell units, just parts and therefore do not give info on units.

IF you remain with a Heat Pump, be sure to get experienced Heat Pump Techs to do work.

The one you have now may be ok with experienced Tech inspecting it.

Also any correctly sized HP should work fine with current furnace as back up

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?