New here but not.. and have a question

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

nikki_0724

hi everyone!!

My name is nikki, I was a member here last year but I hva enot been around much so I rejoined today.

We currently live in a 1979 Torch 14*70. I have this home up for sale right now b/c we REALLy need a larger home.

I have been looking around my park ar the homes they have forsale and I found one I really love. I have been in a few times looking around but I thought who better to ask then the experts what I reall really need to keep my out out for from the simple things I might over look to some major problems.

I read the sticky at the top of this forum and theres alot of good advice in there that I will be looking out for the next time I go in that home or anyother.

But, I wondering if theres anything else that some of you wished you would have looked at that was not on that list.

Also My home has been up for a few weeks and no one has ever looked at it. Even though its a 1979 its in better condition then anything newer that I have seen around. Some people just dont care about their homes. We have all new windows, new carpet, new flooring , updated bathroom, new steps just this last week and a priced pretty low IMO....

Any advice would be wonderful!

thanks everyone and have a excellent day!
Yanita

Hi Nikki,

Good luck in your search for a new home! The guide that you are referring to is also printable if you want to make a copy to take with you.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Maureen

Hi Nikki, welcome back to the forum!

The sticky above is the very best info we have before buying a used mobile! Of course, every home will have their own little problems. You're only sure fire way to find out about a particular home, is to hire a mobile home inspector to go through the home and check it out!

I know for a fact that Yanita and I both bought older homes. We checked out everything! We knew the problems that needed to be tackled right off the bat. We also knew things that could be dealt with down the road. Both of us have had to deal with unexpected problems that we didn't see coming! These things happen in older stick built and brand new custom built homes!

Nothing is guaranteed these days! Education is your best bet!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
Harry

Hi

When I bought this 1988 DW I hired a highly recommended inspector with lots of certifications. I was traveling at the time and opted to hire the inspection rather than do it myself....bad mistake. He missed the rotting rim joist, the rotting roof sheathing, bad HVAC furnace and air, and termites in the work shed.

In a mobile home there is lots of potential for hidden problems.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Yanita

Hi,

Always expect the unexpected!

The list was a accumulation of information from the pros on site and our forum users. About the only thing I left out was tips on financing, deeds, checking out your neighbors etc. Although good info Admins and Mods opted to keep the list as an guide on the home inspection.

If you follow the list completely with everything that is applicable to your home you can pretty much do it yourself.

As for an inspector, your choice, unless financing institute request an inspection.

As for the Heating and Air Systems, having them professionally inspected is your best choice, although I would opt for an inspection from a qualified MH HVAC company.

Buying a used MH to be is a balancing act...the home will have some problems somewhere, the choice is..what are you willing to fix or have fixed? To me structure was what it was about...the walls and floors did not have to be pretty, that I will do.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!