Windows

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

danikasue

My house has the sets of Phillips windows (exterior and interior storm). One of the exterior windows is missing the bottom slider and a few of my interior storm windows are also missing the bottom sliders. The fixed upper ones are intact. I'd rather just replace the missing pieces instead of the entire window, saving the money for other things. Does anyone know of a supplier where I can get just the pieces I need?

Thanks! :)
Greg

You could try some of the mobile home dealers in your area to see what they reccomend.
Personally, Rip the window out and put a real window in. Most of us here gave up on the aluminum windows and put in double hung windows. Much better at sealing up against the weather. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Maureen

I have to agree with Greg on this one. Take the money and put it in the structure of your home first. New windows will actually save you money in the long run!

If you just don't have another option right now, any window shop should be able to replace the glass in the sliders. Just pop them out and take them to the shop. This will save you the home service call.

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
Yanita

Hi,

Got to agree with this one. Typical MH windows are not very good. Double hung are real nice, that is what we installed, but single hung are slightly cheaper per window if that is a consideration.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
danikasue

I do eventually want to replace with single-hung windows(don't much care for double-hung,don't ask me why LOL) but I'd like to do them all at once which isn't really in my budget right now. The window I'm worried the most about is the outside one, there was already some water damage from precipitation hitting the sill. The entire slider is missing, glass and frame. I'd like to get it fixed before winter sets in. Three interior sliders are missing which of course I'm worried about heat loss, but I can't afford to buy four new construction windows. I did price one kind that I really liked that wasn't too expensive, but unreachable for me at least for another year or two. :( The rest of my windows are completely intact so I was hoping to get by with just replacing the sliding part on those four for now.
Maureen

If you're on a budget right now, and a lot of us are these days! See if you can remove just the frame of the slider and take it to a window shop to have the glass replaced. That's the cheapest option I know of unless you know how to cut glass and do it yourself.

Most glass and window companies don't charge much of you bring the frame to them and have them cut and install on their site.

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
danikasue

Unfortunately, I don't have the frames for the sliders. The entire piece is missing. :(
Yanita

HI,

This might not work, but worth a try...will the inside storm window fit into the exterior window frame? Its been awhile since I had these windows and I soon forgot about them.

If it happens to fit then you can get some of that clear window plastic for the interior during the colder months. I agree this needs to be sealed up, rain water, snow etc is not good for your home.

Just read read your post...could you take a pic and post it. Are you saying that the aluminium window frame on the exterior of the home is completely missing?

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
danikasue

You know, I never thought of that! That's a great idea. The window frame and upper window are intact it's just the entire slider that's missing. The entire slider is gone who knows where. The previous owner left some junk, including several windows I think he got from demo work, unfortunately none of them fit any of my windows. I do have a picture but I'm not sure you can really see it.

The window with the air conditioner is the one missing the outside slider, you can see the inside slider is open for the air conditioner. The window on the left has all it's parts and was closed. Neither window has a screen, I had to build new ones for most of my windows LOL
Greg

In all honesty if you have basic carpentry skills new windows are not that hard or expensive to install. you can buy a good middle line new construction window for around $200. You will save that in fuel bills in a few years. You do not realize just how bad those windows are untill you change them. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."