Shower and Tub

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Koda1969

Hello Everyone!
First off, I’ll confess that I’ve been a lurker for a while now…reading these forums for tips and tricks!

My husband and I bought a 1990 Sterling two years ago, and little by little have been fixing it up. We’ve already re-done the kitchen and second bathroom, along with new flooring in the front room (it is a wide room that the front door opens into…we turned it into a dining room and storage display for my husband’s collectibles). On top of that, we’ve pretty much re-painted the entire interior.

The one project that I’ve been putting off is the master bathroom. It is a nice sized bathroom. Has a large garden tub, two vanities, etc. It has carpet (yuck) so I definitely want to replace that.

My question is two-fold. One, we have a shower stall (I think I’ve seen it referred to as a telephone-booth style). How hard is it to remove the stall? I’m thinking I’d like to remove the shower and put in a new shower pan and then either tile all the way around or put a new surround. I’m a big DIYer, but the most I’ve done insofar as plumbing is new sinks, etc.

Secondly, the tub. The corner of the bathroom has a huge triangle ledge of sorts, then beneath that is the tub. It is an ugly yellow fiberglass. Am I better off just removing it and eventually maybe putting in a free-standing tub..or can I get a nicer tub at Home Depot or Lowes to put in that space? (not sure if they fit?). But same question..how hard is it to remove?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks so much in advance!

Sasha
Steve-WA

Sawzall. Done.
Consider a Roman Tub. I did one of those in a 92 Geurdon. Build a little 2x6 wall up to the tub lip (1/2" shorter) cover outside with hardibacker, hardi the walls, tile the wall outside and top (the backer and tile makes up the 1/2"), drop in tub, plumb & tile.
Yeah it's heavy, but it's spread out ; you could add blocks below for more support - I didn't.
I'll find some photos.
Last edited by Steve-WA on Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Koda1969

Hmm..thanks! I like the idea of a Roman Tub. Would love to see pictures of what you did.

As far as the Sawzall. In other words, once I shut off the water, I don't have to worry about "hurting" anything? (just checking hehe)

I've attached a photo of my corner with the tub. Any ideas what is in that corner above the tub or is just the way they made that room? (weird ledge that obviously can't be used for anything, but I'm not sure if it is housing something?)

Also, attached a picture of the shower. I've debated removing that half wall and just putting in a finished shower or something bigger, but there is electrical on that wall, which concerns me. Thanks!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg

Not much to hurt, you are replacing everything anyway. Make it easy for yourself to remove just slice & dice.
As far as what to replace it with, the possibilities are endless.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Steve-WA

Hmm... it appears that what you have *is* a Roman Tub. With wasted space. I say, get out the graph paper and design your ideal bathroom. Gut it - that dusky rose color theme smells like my grandma's house. Don't worry about electric in that wall, just don't go chainsaw massacre crazy on it. And open the breaker.
Koda1969

Steve-WA wrote:Hmm... it appears that what you have *is* a Roman Tub. With wasted space. I say, get out the graph paper and design your ideal bathroom. Gut it - that dusky rose color theme smells like my grandma's house. Don't worry about electric in that wall, just don't go chainsaw massacre crazy on it. And open the breaker.
hehe yeah, that bathroom just screamed ICK so I knew I'd be putting that on my list to re-do.

So, one last question, and forgive me because again, tubs and such isn't something I've ever tackled. Since the pipes, etc. are obviously under the tub and shower, do I use the Sawzall to cut an area around where the pipes/water line are so I can "see" things to be able to detach it? I realize that sounds like a stupid question..I just don't want to flood the bathroom by doing the wrong thing.
Greg

Use care and shallow cuts, Don't bury a 4" blade through the tub. I would start at the end that is away from the pipes until you get the feel of it. Once you get going you can cut around things with out much worry.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Steve-WA

Short answer: yes. But use Greg's technique