Hanging Kitchen Cabinets

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

RickW

Just bought (4) new hickory wall cabinets from Lowe's. two are 30" L x 12" W and two are 30" L x 30" W. What is an easy way to hang these when there isn't a stud to screw into? I live in a single wide mobile home built in 1988. The cabinets are going on the wall across the wall that has the sink and appliances. Someone mentioned to me to put up a wall of plywood so then I could screw into that.
RickW

Two of the cabinets are being hung right up to the ceiling. would it be ok to put some screws through the top of the cabinet into the ceiling for support?
Greg

since cabinets are usually screwed together If done that way you are bound to hit studs. to support the top you should be able to find the top rim joist.
Plywood would also help give you something to anchor to.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

I would use a a little of Rick's and Greg's suggestions. When possible, I will connect cabinets together before lifting the up. Use a "T" brace to help support the weight. If these wall cabinets are going up to the ceiling, You could direct screws upward at the very top/back of the cabinet to reach the top plate of the stud wall.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.