Installing heavy ceiling fixture

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Mackolee

I have a double wide 1979 Lancer mobile/manufactured home. I found a beautiful but heavy, 32 pound glass and brass pool table light which I would like to install over my dining room table. Currently there is no light there, but I am thinking that if heavier chains were added to the outer brass rings, that the weight of the fixture could be supported by hooks screwed into the ceiling joists and then the middle part that holds the wiring could somehow be attached to a heavier box (used for ceiling fans), if a brace was made to hold the box. In this way the weight would be supported by the chains on either end, while the electrical box would only hold the wiring. I am not sure how far apart the ceiling joists are or how strong the beams are. Does this make sense? Thanks a lot for any advice that would help me. (Can't seem to upload picture, as it says the file is too big.)
ponch37300

So there is no wiring or light box above the table now? How are you planning on doing the electrical for the light? I ask because this will determine how you do this. If you're just going to have a plug type cord then you don't really need a center box if you have a chain on each end. Then just "swag" the cord to wherever.

I've installed two ceiling fans in the bedrooms where there was none from the factory. There are a couple ways to do this. If you can hang it right under a truss you can use what's called a pan or pancake box. Just a metal box that you trace on the ceiling and then cut the drywall out and then screw right to the ceiling joist and then hang your fixture from that. They also make other ceiling fan rated boxes that straddle the joists and get screwed to it. They also make a ceiling fan rated box on a hanger bar for when the box lands between two trusses. You cut a hole the size of the box and then the bar slides up threw that hole and then you turn it to expand it until it grips the trusses. Go to a home depot or lowes and take a look at ceiling fan rated boxes. They will also list the weight ratings for them.
Mackolee

Thanks so much for the reply! As there is a large brass ring bolted to the fixture at each end, I thought that a good chain could be attached to each brass ring at either end and then hung from hooks that are screwed into the ceiling trusses. I am assuming that the trusses are 16 inches apart. Then the middle part of the fixture which already has chains attached to the fixture, could be attached to the electrical box, but now it is not carrying all the weight of the fixture as the opposite ends are already chained to the trusses. My husband would like a wall switch, which will involve partially removing some panels. I am concerned about the panels as they are no longer available. Hopefully they will not get damaged. Your ideas on installing the heavy duty electrical box will really help. Thanks again!
Greg

You can also check the Articles section of the site for installing a ceiling fan. Mark describes the installation of the support bar in it.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
HouseMedic

Mackolee wrote:I have a double wide 1979 Lancer mobile/manufactured home. I found a beautiful but heavy, 32 pound glass and brass pool table light which I would like to install over my dining room table. Currently there is no light there, but I am thinking that if heavier chains were added to the outer brass rings, that the weight of the fixture could be supported by hooks screwed into the ceiling joists and then the middle part that holds the wiring could somehow be attached to a heavier box (used for ceiling fans), if a brace was made to hold the box. In this way the weight would be supported by the chains on either end, while the electrical box would only hold the wiring. I am not sure how far apart the ceiling joists are or how strong the beams are. Does this make sense? Thanks a lot for any advice that would help me. (Can't seem to upload picture, as it says the file is too big.)
Do you know if you have regular size ceiling joist? (2"x6" or 2"x8") Do you have an A-frame roof with shingles? If so I would think four sturdy hooks (one on each corner) that screw into the ceiling joist would be strong enough to hold the light from the chains. For the electric box you could just use what is called an "Old Work Box" to run your electric in because it would not be supporting anything.

Ron
calderhill

Please resize your picture to an acceptable posting size. You are making me nervous! Just because you believe it can be mounted as you describe does not mean that is what the manufacturer or UL had in mind. 32lbs is not something you want suddenly falling off your ceiling. Everyone elses comments also apply.
DaleM

Usually the ceilings have trusses made of 2x2s. Figure out where the box will go, drill the appropriate size hole for the box. You can then insert a 20" to 30" 2x4 in the hole and go up over the lower 2x2 of the truss, lay it so it is flat on the wide side. Run some 3" construction screws up through the ceiling, through the 2x2 and into the 2x4 to secure it in place. Screw the box to that. That will hold that fixture. I once stuck an 8' 2x4 in my ceiling through a 6' hole to hold up some ridiculous as heavy ceiling fan my wife had bought. Since it was over the bed I wanted to be able to hang from whatever the fan was hanging from before I would sleep under it. Now getting wiring to it will require you to take a wall panel or 2 out.
Mackolee

Thanks DaleM! You have provided some great information! I am hoping that the ceiling trusses are not 2x2s, but maybe they are.
JD
Site Admin

In a '79 Lancer/Champion mobile home (predates manufactured homes) you could have 1x2 ceiling trusses. In anything less than a 2x4 truss I would advise against any type of side mount fan box. I also do like the spreader type suspension bars because they could actually spread the trusses, causing possible damage as well as not being able to hold the weight you are talking about. Dale's suggestion could work for that kind of weight. All depends on the construction of the trusses. For maximum weight distribution you could mount this 2 chain light perpendicular to the trusses. Cut two 19x19 squares of 1/2" sanded plywood, and mount them each on two separate trusses. You can trim the plywood with quarter round or trim of your choice. Each plywood square could have 3 screws per side, going into two different trusses, spreading the weight out to 4 trusses total for 2 squares. I am almost certain you do not have 2x4 trusses and vaulted ceilings with 2x6 rafters would be very rare in a '79. JMHO
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.