Ceiling replace

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Steve-WA

So I've got this 1973 single wide as a rental. Previously the roof had leaked and my 14 foot Panel ceiling is warped and bowed. I have a new rubber roof now, but I need to do something with this ceiling. I'm looking for ideas. Do I need to pull the old ceiling panels down so that I can make the rafters all level before attaching sheetrock or luan plus stapled tiles? Or can I put furring strips on the existing ceiling and attach something new to that. Help me out with good ideas
Greg S

If you have or had a leak you should remove the existing ceiling, replace any wet or damaged insulation, check for and straighten the rafters as best possible, install a vapour barrier, and then strap the entire ceiling using shims to make the ceiling flat for the installation of ceiling material of your choice.
This would be the proper method to install a ceiling in your situation.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
Greg

The cheapest & easiest ceiling would be 3/8" sheetrock. Get everything back to the way it should be first, then use rock just like a stick built. 3/8" is lighter & easier to work with overhead.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Steve-WA

Getting it all level would be the difficulty for me - I should do some YouTube research
Greg

You could try using a tripod mounted laser level, Many rental houses have them. Or old school bubble level, string & thumbtacks.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
DaleM

If the ceiling bows down you probably need to replace the rafters. That can be done with either 2x6 or 2x8 lumber depending on the rafter height at the center of the ceiling. It's a project but can be done.
JD
Site Admin

If you are going with sheetrock of luan, you would want to remove the existing ceiling anyway. I made a lengthy post on this, complete with drawings, a long time ago. But the gist of it, I carpeted a 4x4 on 3 sides, leaving 1 side clear for jacks. For jacks I used trucker load levelers.
Works like a dream, but don't expect perfection. These trusses are getting tired. Anyways, I will gusset the side of the trusses with 3/8" cdx ($14 a 4x8 panel) plywood. I cut the gusset panels to what the truss should be when the home was new. Then force the top chord of the truss up about 1/4" above the gusset before glue and stapled. The bottom chord and bottom of the gusset should be resting on the 4x4. I push the gusset up so it is away from the bottom edge of the truss chord about 1/4". Hint - don't use shag carpet. You want to see that edge.
Like I said, not perfection. On a 12' ceiling, I use an 8' 4x4. This allows me to push the rafter up maybe 1/2" higher than level. I know when I pull out the jacks, these things are going to settle. They don't settle perfect, but has always looked pretty good and much better than an actual curved bow.
There is also a need for air circulation in the "attic". I used large hole saw on a hardwired 1/2' drill.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Steve-WA

Don't know what trucker load levelers are; Google image search shows shock absorbers, engine hoists, and pictures of trucks.
JD
Site Admin

Not levelers. I used the wrong name. Stabilizers like these

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/mater ... paignId=WZ
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.