Installing a new ceiling light / junction box

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

JeffInFL

There are 4 2x6's that run along the marriage line of the living room ceiling, and the ceiling is slightly vaulted. There was a ceiling fan installed in the center of these beams, which was very wobbly even at the lowest speed so we never used it. I removed the fan, and found out why .. it was basically hung from the ceiling by a hook! a big hook was screwed into one of the 2x6's and the fan was hung from it with no bracing or anything. It looks like the wiring is run inside the drywall that encases these 2x6's.

I'd like to install a ceiling light in the center of the room where the fan used to be, but there's no junction box. I can't just cut away the 2x6's to install one (can i?).. how can I get a light installed? I'm thinking I could probably install a j-box to the left or right of the beam, but I don't like how that would look. Any ideas? Are there ceiling lights that have built-in j-boxes?

You can see the wiring in the upper left of the pic:

Steve-WA

Cut out enough of the trim to screw a j box to the bottom, build a little plywood box or use a 4" pvc coupling or whatever to cover (trim) the j box, trim/stain/paint & install your fan or light.

Or, you probably could notch out enough of the marriage beam(s) to install the box flush. What, inch & a half, 2 inches? Pssshh, Sawzall bro!

If I was bothered by the stick-down-ness of the former, I would have no problem doing the latter.
JeffInFL

Something about cutting into the ceiling support beams makes me a bit nervous lol .. cutting away some trim to attach a j-box right to the marriage beams is probably the best solution. If we get a wide enough ceiling light, it would be hard to see anything between the light and the beams anyway. Thanks!!

Would something like this work? it's only 1/2" deep:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Raco-4-0-cu- ... hTtr9K-r5A
JD
Site Admin

A thin electrical box like in the link below is small enough to fit in the base or hood of the light you install.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Raco-4-0-cu- ... /100154412
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
JeffInFL

perfect .. that's all i need!