maintanence

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Norm Frechette

after a recent trip to the roof of my mobile home to check a bathroom vent for a bees nest, my brother and i inspected every vent that was protruding through the roof and found a situation like that shown in the photo below (photo from internet, not an actual photo of my vent on my roof).

the rubber boot around my vent pipes had deteriorated more than what is shown in the photo above and have been completely replaced. in my case, more than half of the rubber boot was missing

my mobile home is only 7 years old and i dont know how long the vent existed in that condition and my brother was quite surprised there was no water damage to the inside ceilings or walls. a visual inspection showed no signs of water damage.

i'm just posting this as a heads up to all mobile home owners to have things checked out every once in a while to prevent damages and costly repairs. the fix only cost $7 per vent rather than $$$ for major repairs
ponch37300

Good catch and good tip. I like to get up on the roof a couple times a year to check things out. Look at the vents to make sure there are no clogs. Get any sticks off the roof. And just check things out.
countrydan

i also like to inspect the roof and skylights/vents/exhaust stacks etc.

my vent line rubber boots are starting to get to the point that they will need replacement soon also. Can anyone tell me how to replace that rubber boot? is it as ez as pulling up a couple shingles and sliding the boot up off the vent and re-installing the new boot?

Thanks
Norm Frechette

i know the experts wont like it but here goes

i have 2 vent flashings that look like this one (not necessarily that name brand)

the main flange nailed to the roof was in excellent shape except the boot that goes around the pipe was rotted away similar to that photo maybe ever worse

we went to the big box hardware store and bought 2 of these

since only the boot was beyond repair, we removed the boot from the metal flashing and used it on the plastic flashing. we used a generous amount of black roofing caulk to make a seal between the flashing and vent pipe and the new rubber boot.

this may or may not be the method you would want to persue. in the future the flashing may have to be replaced and i will deal with it at that time.
Last edited by Norm Frechette on Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
countrydan

i cant see the images but thanks for the tips. Im pretty sure I understand how you did this.