Blinking lights...and they are not supposed to!

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

LisaBoyer

I need some expert opinions regarding electrical. 95 Skyline, and in the guest bathroom, if a hair dryer is plugged in, the lights dim. Now, one of the lights is not staying on, it shuts itself off after a few min.

I keep reading about electrical being the main cause of fires in these things, which doesn't help.

First thought, was to save $$ and swap out the faulty outlet and switch, but am I putting a band aid on a larger problem? Would you call out an electrician to give the wiring a good once over?
bobfather99

Dimming or flickering lights point to faulty ground or weak connections. Many mobiles have those cheap "one piece" switch/outlet (the fixture and box are one piece. The screws are commonly on the corners of the piece, not in the center like a standard box.)

If you have those one piece switch boxes, have it replaced with a standard box. Since there is no electrical advice on the forum, I cant walk you through the steps, but any electrician will be able to handle that easily in an hour or two.
Tip your bartender.....
Greg

Bob is 100% correct. We refrain from giving "specific how to" advise when it comes to electrical here, one wrong move and someone could get hurt or worse.

If you have the "modular" switches I would recommend changing them to the conventional box & switch/outlets, personally I would like to see them banned. It is a relative easy job to do and there other sites that will give instructions on how to do it. If you are at all unsure of what you are doing PLEASE call a professional.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
HouseMedic

Also you might want to have an electrician check the connections on your outlets. If your place happens to have aluminum wiring it could be a broken wire. Better to be safe and have a pro look at it.

Ron
countrydan

I understand the forum rules and will be careful.

A faulty ground will not cause a blinking bulb. When the outlet/socket does this a multi-meter will explain everything.

And I agree, most likely a loose connection at the super cheapo outlets/switches in our mh's...