Textured drywall and panels in the same house

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

nestsman

I just bought a 1995 mobile home and was a bit surprised to see both drywall in one end of the house and LP Smartside panels in the other. Seriously. Why would a company like Redman use both types of walls in the same house?

So I'm here to ask the experts how difficult would it be to make the whole house have the appearance of textured drywall instead of the cheaper panel look? I like how the drywall part of the house uses metal corners, as it seems to give added strength. Can I just take down the trim work that covers the seams of the panels, use plaster to cover the holes, add metal corners around the window edges, then throw on some textured paint? I've never done a remodel before, but this is a ranch home, and figured this might be a good place to "experiment".

I welcome any advice.

Thank you.
JD
Site Admin

Personally, if I wanted to apply texture, I would replace the paneling with drywall. That being said, I have seen a few homes where spray or troweled texture was applied direct to regular wall paneling and it is holding up real nice. Metal corners gives the corners a crisp straight edge and makes the corners more durable. It really doesn't improve the strength of the home itself. The metal or even plastic/paper corners need to be "mudded" in to smooth out the transition of the corner against the drywall.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.