A BETTER better skirting idea

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Steve-WA

Currently replacing aluminum horizontal with steel as per this article; I am using vinyl skirting top trim (backing plus flap front) rather than j-rail. See any negatives to this? I'm about to gather materials for another re-skirt, and gathering opinions.
Last edited by Steve-WA on Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg

Should work fine as long as it is sturdy enough to hold the top in place.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

Vinyl skirting top track should work very well for this, though I have never tried it. Every brand of vinyl skirting I have tried have two lines molded into the TTF (Top trim female), the part you screw to the home. You want to be sure the top of the skirting is between these two lines, and probably closer to the bottom line. This will keep the top edge of the metal skirting from digging into the TTM, face part of the top trim. I am not sure what the effect of extreme heat would have on the metal to vinyl contact areas.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Steve-WA

The article says to use a backwards Skilsaw blade. Couple of cuts eats the tips on that blade right up. Yesterday I used a $4 metal cutting blade on the Skilsaw, kinda like a skinny grinding wheel. Sparks like 4th of July, but works much better.
Last edited by Steve-WA on Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg

That works too. Now if you REALLY want to cut it, go buy a plasma cutter!!! You can buy a chap one for under $1000!!!!

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
highway

I used a paneling blade turned backwards to trim the new metal roof and it worked good