Chaulky coating and cracked

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Lorne

The other 4 shutters I have are coated with, I think, an oxidation of the 21 year old white paint.

I made a line on the left shutter to show the cracks, if you can see it.

These shutters are cracked horizontally in 2 places each. Roughly split into thirds.

#1--What is the best way to treat the oxidation?
#2--Is there a cement that I can pump into the cracks that will fill them and hold them together better till I can afford new ones?

Apparently over the years the vinyl expanded at two points where they were screwed to the siding, pulling them apart like a medieval torture.

Any thoughts?
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
Maureen

Hello,

I'm not sure I can be of any help here. Repairing vinyl and painting can be a chore! The only paint that will stick to vinyl is Krylon's Fusion. That is a little pricey to cover shutters with.

You might be able to fill in the cracks with a silicone, paintable caulk, but it won't be perfect at all.

New vinyl shutters will cost you just a few dollars more than repairing the old ones. All local home improvement stores carry vinyl shutters at a pretty decent price! Even on a tight budget, if you purchase a pair of shutters a month, it will cost the same as the repairs in the long run.

This is just my opinion, I'm sure others will come up with other ideas or suggestions for you!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
Lorne

I was hoping to just make do with these for now because when we put in the next 2 windows they will each get new shutters like the first window we did.
Thanks any way. I hadn't thought of the silicone.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
Brenda (OH)

would bond-o work? I had a contractor to an extensive repair on a door molding with it, he recreated about an inch of the missing molding using a combination of filling in the gap and making a cardboard form.

after it set, he then sanded the bond-o smooth with fine sand paper, and painted the spot.

the stuff smelled awful, but the repair held up great until I replaced the door. this was an interior area.

just a thought

Brenda
Mark
Site Admin

I'm all for replacing the shutters, But those are dang long shutters! Finding replacements might prove to be difficult.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
JD
Site Admin

I quick search produced this web site.

http://www.vinylshutters.net/louvered.html

Shutters from 31" to 80", $24 to $43.50 a pair respectively, not including shipping.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.