Questions on Florida MH

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

retiredNtavernier

Hello Everyone,

First time poster, but have read many posts and bought Mark's book to get a grasp of what is involved with MH repairs and maintenance. I bought a 1981 Skyline 12x52 in the Florida Keys. I'm right on the water. At high tide I have about 8' of space around the house. Photos are copies of a PDF, the best I can post at this time.
Tavernier 3a.jpg
Outside 1.jpg
My home inspector suggested new blocks and replacement of tie downs. Blocks are weathered and some of the tie downs have rusted through.
Column 1.jpg
1) Is there a product that would be appropriate for the new blocks to prevent corrosion? 2) Wondering the same thing for the tie down straps? 3)Several outriggers have serious corrosion, new outriggers or perimeter blocking?

New building in this flood zone require => than 13'. Serious engineering and costs involved in those projects. Wondering if anyone has experience in going from minimum heights to the HUD maximum of 80"? That would gain a little over 4' from what I have now.

Thanks, Rick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gtpvette

Rick,,,
Wow,,, you're tucked right in the mangroves! Not sure I have any real answers but can tell you about mine. I'm in Key Largo MM103 in Cross Key Waterways,, 1987 doublewide, on the water. I'm on a concrete pad and blocks were used to elevate it. My blocks appears to be in very good shape still and I'm about 4 1/2 feet up. A few of the straps are showing some rust. To be above flood in this area requires us to be 8-9 feet above high tide line. I'm short of that a couple of feet. I thought about trying to raise it up,,, but decided against it. The good news is I'm higher than a lot of the folks around me. Also,,, based on what the neighbors have told me,,, it has flooded here in the past when hurricanes have been close by so higher is always better.

As for replacing your blocks,, I suspect if you did and didn't treat them with anything they'd be good for 30+ years given how long yours and mine have been around. While your doing that,,, maybe raising it a block two and installing new straps would be a good idea. I have no idea how much work that might be,, I suspect a lot but again a couple of extra feet could make a big difference if the water comes up.

Be mind full of the building dept,,, they do get fussy. If you're going to raise it up a bunch,, it might open a can of worms with them. When building now there is more than just the height requirement,,, there is also wind rating. New (or rebuilt) structures need to be rated to 175 MPH winds,, or something like that. Our old trailers would never be allowed again.

Post pictures as you go along and good luck with it!
retiredNtavernier

Thanks gtpvette. Every view from the home is mangrove.

The blocks are probably the originals that were set with the trailer. When I rub my hand across them they are chalky. I know the questions sound a little weird, but it appears the front of the house has had numerous tie downs in place over time. Just wondering if there is something that is more resistant to the elements. They seem to have made contact with the ocean on a number of occasions.

The home has taken on water in the past. As the sub flooring is a patch work of plywood and compressed wood. Could not tell if this was from the exterior (rising tide) or interior (broken pipe). I want to gain some altitude for several reasons; hopefully keep me out of the tide, would be a lot easier to work on the underneath of the home and a place to keep the kayak or other outdoor toys.

Again, thanks for your input.
Rick