Installing Cable wire for tv in home

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Bluejayz79

Good evening folks,

When i first bought my mobile home back in 2000 the cable company installed the cable for tv and internet through my floor. They just ran the wire underneath the trailer and drilled through the floors in the corner of the rooms it was going. I will be laying down new flooring and was wondering if there would be another method that looks a little more "neat". Was thinking i could possibly drill from underneath the home up in between the exterior wall and use a face plate. Has anyone ever tried this method (If it can be done). Does anyone have any other methods that work?

Thanks a bunch
Chad
1987Commodore

Yes, your proposed method can be done.
Norm Frechette

ALL of my cable tv outlets are done that way in my house

however i dont use cable tv. i have directv satellite and drilled a hole in the floor for the cable to enter the house.

i used a computer desk cable grommet to cover the hole for a better finished look

heres a heads up: under no circumstance should the cable or satellite installer drill a hole directly through the side of the house. theres no amount of caulking that once it dries up will prevent water from getting into your house by running down that cable.
calderhill

Wow, lucky you, they went under the trailer. In my case both satellite and the cable company ran the wires completely around the outside of the trailer to each room. When I removed it all and ran it from the central box and under the trailer, I had plenty of cable to spare. Yes, I did come up into the exterior wall and installed a wall plate as Norm has posted.
Norm Frechette

well my home is a 2007 vintage so im sure it came pre wired that way from the factory.

the cable for cable tv is also underground from the house to the pole
calderhill

Well, mine is 1907 vintage and they didn't even have satellite or cable when it was built. :P I've been living in and fixing this 1960's one up for a friend that will take over next month, then it's back to Sedona, AZ where I won't miss the official 9' of snow this year and -20F temps. :shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Norm Frechette

did they have electricity in 1907? :lol:
Bluejayz79

Thanks for the info guys. I orignally had cable installed back a ways but i have Direct tv now. They ran the cable from the satellite dish under the mobile to some sort of juntion box. From the box the cables run to 3 different bedrooms from underneath the mobile and up through the floor in each corner. Since i know now that i can re-route the cable wire to come up inside the exterior walls and in the rooms i will do so. My high speed internet is through the cable company still and has it's own wire that also comes through the floor up to my modem. Ill do the same with the cable internet also. Everything in the mobile is basically wireless (Which is helpful). The faceplates shown look great. Now if all this dang snow will melt away.

Thanks a ton =)
Chad
Greg

calderhill wrote:Well, mine is 1907 vintage and they didn't even have satellite or cable when it was built. :P I've been living in and fixing this 1960's one up for a friend that will take over next month, then it's back to Sedona, AZ where I won't miss the official 9' of snow this year and -20F temps. :shock:
Next month?? You might as well stick around, the weather will be breaking in a month. Only 9'? Places North of us passed 200" last month. I think you caught more snow from Lake Erie than usual this year.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
calderhill

OK, I'll stick around until April Ist. :lol: You're a lot closer to the lake so I would expect Buffalo amounts of snow there. I'm a native NY'er but they are expecting me back in ARIDZONA.Think weather exactly opposite of here. I don't mind the snow and cold but the heating costs are brutal. And let me squash any Arizona heat comments. Phoenix has the 115 deg temps in the southern part of the state. As you go north, the altitude increases and by the time you get up to Flagstaff, lots of snow and freezing temps. Sedona rarely gets to 100 deg. Lots of mobile homes around Sedona so maybe I'll find one to rehab. :D
HouseMedic

Just drill a hole over a little to come up through the wall and install a cable plate using one of these old work boxes.

Ron