Building a wall to hold cabinets

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

steelworkersgal

This is for Greg or anyone else that can help. I'm ordering new kitchen cabinets today but before we have them delivered we have to build a wall 6 1/2 feet long and as tall as the home. we have the cathedral ceiling. Can you tell me how to anchor that wall correctly so my wall does not fall over once the cabinets are placed on them. Greg you have the same set up as my kitchen, please tell me how you did yours.
You can do anything if you put your mind to
steelworkersgal

Sorry we have a single wide
You can do anything if you put your mind to
Greg

I did 2 walls. The first was the factory outside wall, since I have 2x6 studs I just anchored into them. I built a second wall to separate the kitchen & living room. For that wall I also built with 2x6 studs, anchored into a stud on the outside wall. Used drywall anchors into the ceiling since it did not line up with anything solid and screwed the bottom plate into the floor.

I guess I must have done something right since it just dawned on me that the wall survived the move with on problem.

I should have some pictures of the job , if you want me to send them to you PM me with your Email address.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
countrydan

This is what id do,

You need to layout where your wall will be on the ceiling and the floor. then install your studs on the ceiling and the floor with 2x4s (i make it a point to hit the existing studs or joists with these horizontal studs). Then you would install the vertical studs 16" apart on center (typically), and if needed you can trim the ends to follow your ceiling stud. Add electric and any new plumbing where needed. Then add your wall covering (drywall, paneling, whatever after insulating). Then it helps to lightly mark your stud location on the floor/ceiling/center area. once this is done, hang your upper cabinets level on these studs and then set the bottoms after you add the base cabinets' plates. I use 2x4s for these plates as well at the new wall base and then measure the cabinet depths and add the other plate under the cabinet front edge (amount of stacked 2x4 plates or none at all depends on amount of space between upper and lower cabinets and then anchor to floor). Make sure these plates or base if no plates used are level, and use shims if needed as the bottom cabinets will sit on this). Set bottom cabinets and then screw these bottom cabinets to the studs/floor plates as well. Then install their hardware.

add countertop, and sink. then finish center area next. Add faucet, drain, etc.

Then add any base/trim to complete.

I edited to clarify some points I tried to make. Good luck