Best heat reflective paint for metal roofs

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

nestsman

Ok experts, what product do you recommend for applying to a rolled metal roof to reflect heat from the sun?

Thanks!
Greg

I used Koolseal on our's.
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
opinion free

I found 2 products on eBay I wanted to try, but forgot about them till I read your post. They are additive powders you add to the paint and they act as a reflective barrier.
You can look on eBay under: paint additive:
1. Insuladd Energy Saving Ceramic Paint Additive mixes into one gallon of paint.

2.Insulating Additive for PAINT 2 Gal size (it has a picture of the space shuttle) or just go to their website: HY-TECH thermal solutions

Reading the info listed on eBay or at the parent website sounds very interesting and it's not that expensive so may be worth a try.
Good luck.
bobfather99

+1 on the Koolseal.
Tip your bartender.....
JD
Site Admin

The ceramic paints and additives have been around for a long time. Personally, I have my doubts of any added benefits over white coatings using titanium. The main problem with most of the white elastomerics is they get dirty and stained pretty easy. The white is not so white after a year or two. I have found that Rubber Roof is different. This is a two-part coating requiring a catalyst. The product is actually EPDM rubber when cured. This coating is the longest lasting coating I have found and it has an interesting property. The dried surface of the coating is very smooth and does not chalk up like less expensive 1-part coatings, which prevents it from staining. We have a lot of ag dust here in the Central Valley, CA. This is primarily what stains roofs here. When it rains, the Rubber Roof product washes completely clean and fresh, whereas the 1-part coatings add to the staining of the surface.

So while ceramic particles could show added reflection in a controlled test, in real life, in my area anyways, the effect is quickly muted.

The Rubber Roof product is excellent, but is very pricey. It is a good choice when paying a contractor to apply it, because it is a one coat product. 1-part elastomerics like Koolseal, Ame's coating and Henry's elastomerics are best applied in a minimum of 3 coats and takes 5 coats to be comparable to Rubber Roof. For a DIY person, you may save a little out of pocket cash with the 1-part coatings, especially if you limit it to 3 coats. The Rubber Roof saves on charged labor prices.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
nestsman

Home Depot didn't have Koolseal, so I bought five gallons of Henry's Solarflex White Roof Coating. Think this will be good enough for Utah's hot desert sun?

Thank!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/100051140? ... hlyIhYY138
Greg

I think Henry"s & koolseal are about the same quality. I see Lowes stopped carrying Koolseal as well.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."