Corrugated metal ceiling

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

1987Commodore

True, they do have colored plastic/fiberglass/Ondura panels, but I would have concerns about UV discoloration, particularly with white. They could be painted also. Either those or metal could be used, but the metal won't ever need to be replaced.
Greg S

Home Depot sells the corrugated roofing metal in a rainbow of colours including white.
The galvanised reminds me of something from the POW camps in 2nd world war movies. The small isolation boxes. Not particularly an attractive image.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
asa

I guess it all depends on what you have been exposed to in what it makes you think of. It's becoming a pretty popular design choice in my area. I'm still thinking of painting it white, but we went out this weekend to an establishment that had just been redone and they had use the same metal and left it galvanized and my husband liked it that way. It would be less work, but I'm still leaning towards white.

We're a lot more comfortable working with metal, and we do not have a Home Depot or Lowes here. Locally they have some fiberglass type stuff, but it costs a lot more and seems like you might could even see through some of them a bit - maybe not in this application, but not sure.
Steve-WA

If you like it, then choose it. *I* think it's ugly, but if you saw some of my choices, you'd say the same, I'm sure
1987Commodore

The hardest part will be if the walls it butts up against are not square. You could save trimming effort if you let the panels end as they fall instead of trimming angles if the walls are slightly off. If you use a 1X board screwed flat to the underside of the metal as a finishing trim around the perimeter.
asa

Steve-WA wrote:If you like it, then choose it. *I* think it's ugly, but if you saw some of my choices, you'd say the same, I'm sure
Ha ha. I spent a good deal of time as an interior design major in college, so I am certainly familiar with the love/hate or beautiful/ugly etc. way of feeling about the same design. Probably why I didn't go all the way through with it, in fact.
1987Commodore wrote:The hardest part will be if the walls it butts up against are not square. You could save trimming effort if you let the panels end as they fall instead of trimming angles if the walls are slightly off. If you use a 1X board screwed flat to the underside of the metal as a finishing trim around the perimeter.
Yes, we'll add in some kind of trim or crown. We took out the corner fireplace this past weekend, so at least we no longer have those weird angles to deal with. Pretty much one big rectangle now. Before we put up new ceiling boxes, we'll have to do some measuring and make sure that they will be in the middle of a panel and not on an edge. But ceiling is still a long way away (when you can only work weekends).
asa

Just wanted to update this thread and say that we got up the panels this weekend. Our room was about 31 foot long and 11.5 foot wide. We went with 16' panels, so we used 12 of them total. We will add a 1x (maybe 1x6) that has been routered across the middle seam and then some larger trim around all the sides. We haven't made a final decision yet on which style trim to go with, but we've got a few ideas. I considered painting it white, but in the end decided just to go with it as is and accept any scratches or dings or imperfections as part of the overall look. I am pleased with the effect, although I can certainly see how it would not appeal to a lot of people.

Before putting it up, we ripped out all of the existing ceiling so we could inspect everything and do any repairs/add insulation. We actually ended up tearing out a fireplace in this room and took about 3/4 of it down to the studs. Did some electrical updates with everything opened up and moved some lights into better locations. Put up new insulation and sheetrock. Painted the partial wall that was still paneling in the same wall color.

Spydrweb1977

Looks really good, nice clean install. It's a bit overbearing for me because of the low ceilings we deal with in our mobiles, but done in moderation(like a kitchen or possibly bathroom) I might not mind it. I personally just don't think I would want my entire home done unless it was a really large space with lofty ceilings.

Your install looks awesome though and the room looks great overall, just not my style.
asa

Thanks. Yes, this will be the only area where this ceiling is. The other areas are the typical long ceiling panels with 1 x 4 boards covering the strips. Just too much damage in this area for that. Price and weight were the most appealing aspects of this project (as opposed to style).
opinion free

Looks Great!!! For me: scratches + dings + dents = character.
ponch37300

Looks nice. My only suggestion would be to take glare/reflection into consideration when picking out your lighting.
asa

We did. We actually found some really cool LED puff lights - totally enclosed, so nothing reflecting up at the ceiling. (In the photos are just bare bulb fixtures that we used during construction.)
asa

We've had a VERY slow remodel, so I still do not have any final photos, but it does look different to me now than in the photos from above.

*Please note - in some cases we made things level and in some cases we went with the room. Function is prevailing more than appearance. Also, my phone camera often skews things where they look off, but in real life are not.

We made our own molding and installed it.

We started installing cabinets.

We added a board across the middle that covered our only seam.

It was painted silver to match.

We're in the process of installing Allure Ultra flooring now, but I wanted to share this photo since you can see the metal ceiling and the white ceiling in the background.
asa

As a side note, I think the ceiling would have looked really cool with stainless appliances, but we were given the fridge and dishwasher and I found a good deal on a white stove on sale, so that is what we went with to save the budget.
opinion free

It looks beautiful.
I'm liking the white appliances, especially since the ceiling moulding is white. The SS appliances, with the corrugated metal ceiling might be too much. The flooring is very handsome and ties the cabinets and walls together. A nice simple cabinet hardware and it's ready for house beautiful magazine.
Great Job!