JD.. siding question

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

highway

In one of your siding post you mentioned using furring strips nailed over the metal siding and studs. do you think this idea will work. I did a new metal roof with 8" overhang for the eaves, my plan for the siding leave the metal siding on using furring strips nailed over the studs and vent the metal siding out at top under the new eaves ?
1987Commodore

I'm not JD, but it sounds like it would become a haven for bees, wasps, etc. between the layers, unless you could somehow block any access.
Greg S

No venting is required as the siding is not sealed from air infiltration.
It is advisable when strapping to add rigid foam insulation between the strapping and house wrap before siding. The insulation adds support to the back of the siding and help insulate as well.
I would also strongly advise using only screws, not nails, for everything attached to the home.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
highway

Greg, when I add the vinyl and foam insulation, is there a problem with condensation ? that was really why I wanted to vent it
Greg S

No. The vinyl siding is not a air barrier. There is more than enough air circulation but water will also get behind the siding so make sure you use a properly installed and taped house wrap.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
highway

Thanks Greg,
so as it stands I will leave the metal on and use furring strips and foam board.
eflyersteve

After adding the furring strips and vinyl, how do you trim around windows and doors? I've heard of doing it the way you propose but I can't seem to wrap my mind around trimming out windows and doors that would likely be below the surface of the siding. And to add vinyl, won't you need sheathing? Or at least a furring strip for each course of siding?
JD
Site Admin

The use of furring strips was suggested to me by a vinyl siding company owner, a true expert with stores in 3 states. This is also what I have read in a few quality posts on other forums. Personally, I would only suggest removal of the aluminum siding and then using the install instructions from the manufacturer or the installation instructions from the Vinyl Siding Institute. http://www.vinylsiding.org/installation/manual/

The aluminum siding seems to create a 2nd vapor barrier that traps moisture. I also think this is much more of a problem with mobile homes built with thin walls with only 1 1/2" insulation.

The VSI manual recommends sheathing over studs.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
highway

you mention the siding creates a 2nd vapor barrier that traps moisture.... does the moisture appear on the interior walls or exterior
JD
Site Admin

IT would be the added moisture barrier creating a second barrier, along with the aluminum siding. The house that I was looking at had moisture on both sides of the aluminum, but probably for additional reasons. There was so much wrong with the original install, i can't determine if it is one thing, multiple things or a combination of things. We haven't had condensation capable weather for quite a while now, so waiting to see where the customer wants to go next.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
highway

thank you for all the info...... one more thing I was tossing around is I may take my electric metal shears and cut a couple ventilation holes in the metal siding before adding the furring strips and house wrap ?
highway

ttt
JD
Site Admin

Well, I will be trying something a long those lines with my customer that already has the condensation problem with her home. I am thinking it should work, but won't be sure until we get well into Fall and weather conditions can produce condensation. I don't know that that would give you total confidence that it will work. I am also thinking of opening a vent slot at the bottom as well to get an air flow going.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!